Time for a Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":23fohure said:
All we have are a couple of headgates, one with a door that swings open on one side. Have the self catching ones and one that we catch them with. Prefer the one I have to manually catch them. Our cows are mostly pretty quiet and I can't get the self catching ones to catch the cows as they seldom hit it hard enough.
That has been my experience. My chute is OLD, really old. Frey out of PA. Not a squeeze. I think a squeeze would be awesome, but I have never owned or used one.

They just seem much more safe IMO. And I'm solo majority of the time. No one would find me for a while. If not over 24 hours. So need to be safe.

Our head gate works fine. The corral is worn out. I just want total control. The one i used next door was awesome compared to our setup. It was the cheaper of their line i believe.

ClinchValley":1j5x5mpm said:
They just seem much more safe IMO. And I'm solo majority of the time. No one would find me for a while. If not over 24 hours. So need to be safe.

Our head gate works fine. The corral is worn out. I just want total control. The one i used next door was awesome compared to our setup. It was the cheaper of their line i believe.
What you mean is "I feel much more safe". I can understand that. I've helped a few friends that had squeeze chutes over the years....when we finished seems I was either bleeding or bruised all over from hitting bars, bolts and other things. Just much rather catch head only (and only if absolutely necessary) and putting a post behind them so they can't backup and do whatever I need to do from giving injections to palpating and breeding.

I bought a stationary chute and palp cage with a slide gate on the back and bolted a Priefert Model 91 head gate to it. We don't do any AI or branding so I don't see the need to have an actual squeeze. I like the chute and palp cage for the gates it has so I can get in and out of the alley or in and out of the pen on the other side if need be. Much cheaper too.

ran 60 head through a S04 in 2.5 hours. No trouble at all.

Same 60 head would take a full day through foremost and powder river chutes.

my cows dont' want to comew ith me standing there holding onto the handle. autocatch is the way to go, but priefert is the only one that you can easily adjust and tighten onto the cow.

FYI---This reminds me that I found this Priefert Facebook page a couple of days ago while I was looking for the amount of bend of one of their panels. Was able to send them a message and they answered back the next day.

Latest posts