Time cattle raisen! (as ONLY-BEEF would say!)

Help Support CattleToday:

How many years producing beef?

• 30 years or less but doing it proper!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • over 30 years but learning all the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you had the right idea but you have far more people talking like they have been doing this all there life.
First you have to forget all that cowboy crap and fancy equipment, and figure out you are a grass farmer.

I always thought the fancy equipment was a farmer thing? Cowboys like fancy topped boots that they wear under their pants. I figure the less equipment a ranch (real) has the more money it makes.

I think the better question is how many people are posting and giving advice that don't even own a cow.
I saw one recommending antibotics and the same poster didn't know what a fluke was.
Kinda scary for the newbies.

Caustic Burno":36rv826g said:
I think the better question is how many people are posting and giving advice that don't even own a cow.
I saw one recommending antibotics and the same poster didn't know what a fluke was.

A fluke is that instrument you play when you want to lead them to the barn...right? :D

1848":3hdtz4oi said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3hdtz4oi said:
But, if the "old timers" didn't visit the biginners board - who would help them - other beginners??? :shock:
Been at it 37 years (was born & raised a city gal) and ALWAYS learning something new. Hopefully I never think I know everything there is to know. That would be time to lay down & quit.

So what does this have to do with helping begginers? Should go under the everything else or coffee shop.

Are we passing on Knowledge here or just, stating how long we've been around cattle? Someone can be around cattle for 30 years and not know.......well you know the rest. ;-)

When I read:
Hey, I thought this area was reserved for begginers?
I thought you were referring to the fact that only beginners would be answering his "survey". I just misunderstood. sorry. I understand now you meant this thread should be elsewhere.

1848":1z5uszfg said:
Caustic Burno":1z5uszfg said:

A fluke is that instrument you play when you want to lead them to the barn...right? :D

Nope. I've got three of them. They are definately digital multi-meters. It says "FLUKE" right on the boxes. Don't know how to hook them up to cows though. Where are the lead wires?

backhoeboogie":1wyqaywd said:
1848":1wyqaywd said:
Caustic Burno":1wyqaywd said:

Nope. I've got three of them. They are definately digital multi-meters. It says "FLUKE" right on the boxes. Don't know how to hook them up to cows though. Where are the lead wires?

I thought a fluke was something that was an odd occurance.
To hook the cows to the meter I guess you do like you do with the immobilizer. One on the lip and one under the tail. Not sure if you use an AC or DC setting to get a reading though.

dun

dun":3ij1vvj5 said:
backhoeboogie":3ij1vvj5 said:
1848":3ij1vvj5 said:
Caustic Burno":3ij1vvj5 said:

I thought a fluke was something that was an odd occurance.
To hook the cows to the meter I guess you do like you do with the immobilizer. One on the lip and one under the tail. Not sure if you use an AC or DC setting to get a reading though.

dun

You're supposed to use the resistance setting. Depending upon the number of ohms present you can tell how far bred she is.

cfpinz

cfpinz":lvjz0ge8 said:
You're supposed to use the resistance setting. Depending upon the number of ohms present you can tell how far bred she is.

cfpinz

Do you have the conversion chart for that? It would sure be handy for determining how far a long a cow iswhen you buy her.

dun

dun":37x6giao said:
cfpinz":37x6giao said:

cfpinz

Do you have the conversion chart for that? It would sure be handy for determining how far a long a cow iswhen you buy her.

dun

I seem to have misplaced the chart. Probably right next to my immobolizer.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3rpn5vnk said:
dun":3rpn5vnk said:
cfpinz":3rpn5vnk said:

cfpinz

dun

I seem to have misplaced the chart. Probably right next to my immobolizer.

cfpinz

How about checking and see if they have one on ebay?

dun

AngusLimoX":2ztigwkr said:
Look on the back of that chart, will give settings for measuring REA and marbling as well.

Dang. Should I be doing all these hook-ups in series or parallel? My booger pickers aren't long enough to span from the nose to the tail. They are only 18 inch leads or so. Couldn't I just hook-up ear to ear?

backhoeboogie":2thfhirg said:
AngusLimoX":2thfhirg said:
Look on the back of that chart, will give settings for measuring REA and marbling as well.

Dang. Should I be doing all these hook-ups in series or parallel? My booger pickers aren't long enough to span from the nose to the tail. They are only 18 inch leads or so. Couldn't I just hook-up ear to ear?

Ear to ear will give you the petability EPD.

cfpinz

30 years. Started out with 4-H steers then bought Simmental heifers after that. Learned mostly from experience, other cattle people, and reading things like this board.

Dad had me in the dairy barn when I was about 3 years old. I got to listen to the old barn radio (that was always playing to keep the cows calm). In 1969 dad got out of the dairy business but we have been in the beef cattle business ever since.
Since I am 44 years old - I guess that I have 41 years experience.

Just kidding, how about 28 years of experience. By the time I was 16 I was running things (or at least trying to). I have seen droughts and floods. I have seen anaplaz kill about 10 of our old cows at the drop of a hat. I have saw blackleg hit the area and get alot of the calves in the neighborhood. I have saw a cow back up to the creek and have her calf be born, fall in the creek and drown. I have saw a 400 lb steer walk out on a frozen pond, fall in and drown. I have saw first calf heifers so dumb that they tried to kill their own calf.

And, I am still learning......... :lol:

I don't remember us not having cattle. My mom and dad still have them. Dad's retired and works harder now it seems than when he had a day job, retired diesel mechanic. I've had them ever since I was little, still haven't gotten tired of them. Still have alot to learn.....

Been around cattle all my life. (57years) 4th generation to have cattle. As CB said I raise grass and with the new farm have a lot of work to improve that area. First thing I did was to start building cross fences for rotational crop management. Still have about 3 more miles of fence to build, but hope to have it completed by spring. At that point can start pasture improvement. Well enough rambling. :lol: