Timber Rattlers

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Seem to be super bad this year, every time I turn around I am on top of one. Killed two yesterday within fifty feet of each other. They wouldn't be so bad if the hateful bad tempered devils would rattle.

I have never found them to be that bad ill tempered. I would have been bit a dozen times if they were. But i have seen a few that weren't to friendly.

grannysoo":1jpilz2w said:
Jogeephus":1jpilz2w said:
I like the way they just appear out of nowhere. Really gets the blood pumping.

Makes an old man as fast as a young man too...

Yep, and the law of gravity no longer applies. I wonder if this phenomena has anything to do with the little girl screeching noise you make just before you go airborne.

Red Bull Breeder":gpvx168q said:
I was thinking it was just the boost you got from having the sh!! scared out of you.

Jet propulsion :lol: .

I haven't run across many rattlers, for me its the doggone Copperheads. Darn near stepped on a couple of them. The worst was when picking cherry tomatoes, then I knelt down to pick up the ones that had fallen off the plant and lo-and-behold all coiled up almost against my left knee was a very young Copperhead. It was at that moment I understood the meaning of paralyzed by fear.

Katherine

It's funny how in Texas the areas change so quickly from having rattle snakes to not having them. Here in the blackland prairie we don't have them.. water moccasins and rat snakes we see, but even those not very often. But I can go close to the river (Brazos) or south and east towards Kosse and Bremond, and you'll find some timber rattlers, and plenty of copperheads. We have a frozen rattler in the freezer at the office that one of the guys found on his place about 10 miles away. That's the first one I've ever seen!

Paper Company is clearing a bunch of land to the east of me I guess they are getting run out. They just seem to be evevywhere around here right now. Just got back from the Vet getting old Rube her 4 month Rattlesnake vaccine. Told the Mrs. to wear rubber boots and carry a hoe or stick in the garden or flower bed and to look careful before just sticking her hand in to get something.

Caustic Burno":2pfr6nd1 said:
Just got back from the Vet getting old Rube her 4 month Rattlesnake vaccine.

Okay, I plead ignorance on this one. What on earth is a Rattlesnake vaccine?

carry a hoe or stick in the garden or flower bed and to look careful before just sticking her hand in to get something.

Good reminder for all of us who spend alot of time in those situations.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":oqfho18s said:
Caustic Burno":oqfho18s said:
Just got back from the Vet getting old Rube her 4 month Rattlesnake vaccine.

Okay, I plead ignorance on this one. What on earth is a Rattlesnake vaccine?

carry a hoe or stick in the garden or flower bed and to look careful before just sticking her hand in to get something.

Good reminder for all of us who spend alot of time in those situations.

Katherine

There is a vaccine for Rattlesnake bites for Dogs, Rube gets a shot every four months as required.
The vaccine is made by Red Rock Biologics.

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

Not trying to be nosey but how much do those shots cost? My buddy has spent $1300 per year for the last two year's getting his dog treated after a bite. This could be very useful info around here.

Jogeephus":2hxupjko said:
Not trying to be nosey but how much do those shots cost? My buddy has spent $1300 per year for the last two year's getting his dog treated after a bite. This could be very useful info around here.

My vet charges 24 dollars per shot or 72 dollars a year are the cost to get Rube protected, thats a heck of a lot cheaper than losing a good squirrel dog.
Jo, Red Rock will ship doses to your vet only, my vet orders Rube three every year and puts them in the fridge for her. Tired of losing good dogs and the expense of buying and training a new dog.

Most of those snakes also carry a virus similar to black leg. You can give them Benadryl if they get bit and sometimes save them if you are quick enough. But if the copperhead, rattler or cotton mouth are carrying that virus too, to bad.

We have plenty of western diamond backs - and they rattle. Copperheads are abundant under the pecan trees. The Brazos is full of cotton mouths. I must have killed two dozen cotton mouths this year. One was on the trot line too. It scared the dickens out of me when I pulled it out of the water!

backhoeboogie":3hckcem2 said:
. One was on the trot line too. It scared the dickens out of me when I pulled it out of the water!

I hope you were wearing your brown britches that day!

I was checking some fence along an area that washes the other day and heard a rattler. For a split second I just froze and looked around; I couldn't spot him in that nanosecond glance. Then I thought " get your dumb a$$ moving, don't stand still and make an easy target for him" ! Once again the good Lord was looking out for me - I jumped in the right direction and kept on moving til I got back on the 4 wheeler.

I HATE snakes, the sneaky little rascals!!!! Even a rat snake in the barn will scare me to death. My husband says I'm gonna end up breaking something getting away from a harmless rat snake.

Texas Gal":2rup2ypc said:
I hope you were wearing your brown britches that day!

Actually I was in waders and holding the line close to the water while walking it out. There was not a lot of tugging going on. My hand was about two feet from it when I lifted it out of the water. It took a second to note he had hooked himself and was caught on the line. I pulled the 22 out of the top of my waders and cut him almost in half just below the head. It was an easy shot at close range with him stuck on a hook.

Latest posts