Timber Rattlers

Help Support CattleToday:

After reading all your posts I went to the barn and gave my 3 pt.-- 72" snowthrower a big kiss.
You all can give me a hard time in 6 months.

other nite my Aussie was raising cane in the driveway so I went out and he had a copperhead under the truck he is good about not getting close enough to get bit he just bays them
grabbed a garden rake and cut his head off he was 24" long which is a decent sized copperhead for this area wife parked the truck tire on one the week before down at the shop and didn't even realize it

TheBullLady":3nbmqc7w said:
It's funny how in Texas the areas change so quickly from having rattle snakes to not having them. Here in the blackland prairie we don't have them.. water moccasins and rat snakes we see, but even those not very often. But I can go close to the river (Brazos) or south and east towards Kosse and Bremond, and you'll find some timber rattlers, and plenty of copperheads. We have a frozen rattler in the freezer at the office that one of the guys found on his place about 10 miles away. That's the first one I've ever seen!

I've never been to Texas and I don't know my geography but what section of Texas did the space shuttle leave its debris? Reason I ask, I have a friend who was on one of the many search teams. He is accustomed to snakes but he said he had never seen as many cottonmouths in his life as he did while he was there.

Jogeephus":egkaufam said:
TheBullLady":egkaufam said:
It's funny how in Texas the areas change so quickly from having rattle snakes to not having them. Here in the blackland prairie we don't have them.. water moccasins and rat snakes we see, but even those not very often. But I can go close to the river (Brazos) or south and east towards Kosse and Bremond, and you'll find some timber rattlers, and plenty of copperheads. We have a frozen rattler in the freezer at the office that one of the guys found on his place about 10 miles away. That's the first one I've ever seen!

I've never been to Texas and I don't know my geography but what section of Texas did the space shuttle leave its debris? Reason I ask, I have a friend who was on one of the many search teams. He is accustomed to snakes but he said he had never seen as many cottonmouths in his life as he did while he was there.

The space shuttle debris was scattered for 300 miles east to west. Not sure about north to south. It seems there were also some pieces found in Louisiana as well.

Sort of gald that I don't live in the south any more, hearing and vision isn't what it used to be. Up here we have a group of bull snakes that breed on a hill near the lower pasture keep the mice down, haven't seen a rattler, they ar ehere but not on our place. DMc

Joe that was probably over in East Texas.....that's deeply wooded, has lots of rivers and creeks and world of cottonmouths....perfect habitat I guess. CB has probably seen more than his share of those as well.

TexasBred":25gyqcvm said:
Joe that was probably over in East Texas.....that's deeply wooded, has lots of rivers and creeks and world of cottonmouths....perfect habitat I guess. CB has probably seen more than his share of those as well.

He said there were a lot of gully like creeks that they had to scale down then back up. He said whenever they saw one of these creeks he knew he'd better start looking closely cause there was always one there. He said they lined up about 3 foot apart and walked combing the ground for anything. If they found something they would radio someone and another team would flag it put a gps fix on it and then do whatever. I think he said they helped solve six missing persons and uncovered several meth labs cause no stone went unturned.

Jogeephus":1j6ycex5 said:
TexasBred":1j6ycex5 said:

He said there were a lot of gully like creeks that they had to scale down then back up. He said whenever they saw one of these creeks he knew he'd better start looking closely cause there was always one there. He said they lined up about 3 foot apart and walked combing the ground for anything. If they found something they would radio someone and another team would flag it put a gps fix on it and then do whatever. I think he said they helped solve six missing persons and uncovered several meth labs cause no stone went unturned.

A lot of the search area was around Toledo Bend, most of East Texas is rolling terrain with lots of creeks, streams, swamps,sloughs. I am probably going to mispell this but it resembles Nuxobee Forest in Ms. just more of it.
I know they found most of the Israel astronout intact.

Bullbuyer":395yetf0 said:
Ya'll wrong about snakes, they have a great medicinal purpose. Walking up on one will certainly cure constipation!!!!

ROFLMAO....YEAH BUT THEN YOU STTUUUUUTTTTTTEERRRRRRRRR THE RREEEEEESSTTT OF YYYYOOOOOUURRR LIFFFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Back when I was doing a lot more duck hunting than I am these days, I would always be sure to attend the annual snake proofing clinic our hunt club hosted. A guy would come out with a few cottonmouths, rattlers, and copperheads which had all been defanged. We would cast the dog to retrieve a euthanized duck near the snake. If the dog did not avoid the snake he/she got a full power correction. After that, if they saw or caught wind of a snake they wouldn't go within 20 feet of it; and, being reasonably good retrievers they could wind just about anything within 10-20ft.

However, I did see a dog at one of these clinics actually sit on the snake. The snake even struck the dog's butt and this dog ( a large Lab) just looked at it and continued to sit there. The guy's training collar or transmitter apparently had dead batteries.

Latest posts