Timber/Pulpwood Question

Help Support CattleToday:

cherokeeruby'

Reaction score
A gentleman is coming out here in the morning to look at our 50 acres of woods. Wondered if anyone in the Northeast Texas area has had any experience with timber buyers. There are not many tall straight trees here I suppose it will be classified as pulpwood.

Any ideas on what sort of prices are being paid these days?

cherokeeruby'":h1cqq772 said:
A gentleman is coming out here in the morning to look at our 50 acres of woods. Wondered if anyone in the Northeast Texas area has had any experience with timber buyers. There are not many tall straight trees here I suppose it will be classified as pulpwood.

Any ideas on what sort of prices are being paid these days?

Ruby I sold a tract of timber back in August pulpwood was bringing 10 dollars a ton sawlogs 40 a ton but that was before Rita. Prices hve collapsed here if I was going to clear land now I would just hire a D-8 and a shear blade.

1st Rule of thumb to consider when selling timber: Get many estimates from different buyers before you make a decision. Then get the contract in writting spelling what, when, how much, etc......

Guess whose interest the Timber Buyers is looking out for?

He is kinda' like us, wants to buy low and sell high.

Know the market in your area by talking to many people. Soon you will know which ones to "weed" out based on price or attitude.

About 5 years ago we sold the timber off 60 acres we own in NE Alabama. The difference between the low bid and the high bid was about $63k.

To add to others, get several bids when you sell or get a professional forester to handle it for you.

In SE LA. there were so many trees down from storm that timber cutters can't get to all of it. I would wait for a better time if it is practical for you.