Tilapia

Help Support CattleToday:

never2old2learn-ron

Reaction score
What the heck is Tilapia? I have seen it advertised quite a lot lately. I gather it is some type of seafood. But I never heard of it before. Do I just live too far from the world of fine dining, or is it something new?

never2old2learn-ron":111dn455 said:
What the heck is Tilapia? I have seen it advertised quite a lot lately. I gather it is some type of seafood. But I never heard of it before. Do I just live too far from the world of fine dining, or is it something new?

Pretty much a mouth breeder bluegill

We have had it before and I found it very bland and didn't like the texture..

We like wild Salmon or Basa fillets much better..

dun":3g6i49pk said:
never2old2learn-ron":3g6i49pk said:

Pretty much a mouth breeder bluegill

Dun you just insulted the bluegill by comparing it to a sucker fish.

never2old2learn-ron":26x10fsd said:

It's nasty, trust me.

never2old2learn-ron":5fj9qgoy said:

Tilapia is a firm-fleshed, mild tasting fish. I would not suggest buying it from Wal-Mart, as there tilapia tends to have a funky taste to it. Sam's Club, or most supermarkets have quality tilapia. I like it very much, and I would suggest you give it a try and decide for yourself. I like to sprinkle it with Old Bay Seasoning, let it 'marinate' overnight, then fry it in a little olive oil.

msscamp":14nf620i said:
never2old2learn-ron":14nf620i said:

Tilapia is a firm-fleshed, mild tasting fish. I would not suggest buying it from Wal-Mart, as there tilapia tends to have a funky taste to it. Sam's Club, or most supermarkets have quality tilapia. I like it very much, and I would suggest you give it a try and decide for yourself. I like to sprinkle it with Old Bay Seasoning, let it 'marinate' overnight, then fry it in a little olive oil.

That might make a big difference as I have just prepared them with a touch of butter ,cilantro and fresh ground pepper...Then they are grilled on the BBQ..

I still have some in the freezer and I will try your method next time.. :)

Tilapia doen't work very well deep fried but is pretty good cooked on a George Foreman grill or pan seared in a little olive oil like msscamp suggested. It's unlawful to grow them in Georgia -they are considered an invasive species.

never2old2learn-ron":1lnar6hq said:

Tilapia is great marketing.

Notice how you didn't see it a few years ago and now it's everywhere? An invasive fish that breeds like rabbits? What a deal. Mass production that can be sold.

Saw on an episode of Dirty Jobs recently, a fish farm whose primary product was bass. They used tilapia and carp to clean up the tanks behind the bass, apparently both tilapia and carp eat the left over food and bass poo?? Not very appetizing.

egypt1.gif

grannysoo":n5p4rwun said:
never2old2learn-ron":n5p4rwun said:

Tilapia is great marketing.

Notice how you didn't see it a few years ago and now it's everywhere? An invasive fish that breeds like rabbits? What a deal. Mass production that can be sold.

I'm a little confused by your comment. I've been buying and eating Tilapia for at least 10 years now. :?

mobgrazer":1yrbqif2 said:
Aren't they crap eaters?
I don't know but that sure isn't unique in the fish world. They reputedly eat a lot of duckweed and algae and such. Also known to crowd out other species of fish. They're fine if contained to fish farms but create problems when introduced to rivers and lakes.

ga. prime":2pn72ry9 said:
Also known to crowd out other species of fish. They're fine if contained to fish farms but create problems when introduced to rivers and lakes.

That's one advantage to cichlids. They don;t build nests but carry the eggs in their mouths. All it takes is water, adequate feed and the right water temp and they'll reproduce

I work with a man from China whose father is a pig farmer and also raises Tilapia there. The pig manure runs into the ponds that the fish are raised in. The man that I work with doesnt recommend eating Tilapia! :D

Latest posts