Tilapia

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning":2pq1a29p said:
Anho, my friend was off in a corner harassing this poor waiter to bring out the deep fried taquitos and extra cheese sauce. So ya see, some folks might just prefer the tilapia over the lobster after all. :eek:
MM ~ There's a lot to be said for a meal that can sit under the Holiday warming lights for 8 hours, then tucked in my coat pocket for another 8 hours (often longer if I forget about it) and still taste as good as it did fresh out of the fryer. Ask my dog ~ she'll tell you its true too! :nod: Once forgot one in my car for 2 days. Found it and fed half to the dog, waited half an hour and she seemed just fine so I finished it. That stuffs magic!! :nod:

Normally hd I would get the shrimp, but I am trying to "step out of the box". Talapia seems a safe enough place to start! :lol2: :help:

angie":2w0q1bfb said:
MistyMorning":2w0q1bfb said:
Anho, my friend was off in a corner harassing this poor waiter to bring out the deep fried taquitos and extra cheese sauce. So ya see, some folks might just prefer the tilapia over the lobster after all. :eek:
MM ~ There's a lot to be said for a meal that can sit under the Holiday warming lights for 8 hours, then tucked in my coat pocket for another 8 hours (often longer if I forget about it) and still taste as good as it did fresh out of the fryer. Ask my dog ~ she'll tell you its true too! :nod: Once forgot one in my car for 2 days. Found it and fed half to the dog, waited half an hour and she seemed just fine so I finished it. That stuffs magic!! :nod:

Normally hd I would get the shrimp, but I am trying to "step out of the box". Talapia seems a safe enough place to start! :lol2: :help:

Was that the dogturd you found on the seat of thetruck a week or so ago?

dun":7l7e0b6l said:
Hmmmmm ~ sounds like you have me confused with someone else......

angie":18rthsm4 said:
dun":18rthsm4 said:
Hmmmmm ~ sounds like you have me confused with someone else......

I know who the confused one is

hillsdown":28e6j0x2 said:
angie":28e6j0x2 said:
I had it at Red Lobster with my daughter last week. I am sure dun or MM will point out that I will eat anything ~ but I thought it was good stuff!

How come everyone has a Red Lobster but us, you would think with a city the size of ours we would have one I am soooo jealous.. But, why would you order that and not crab or lobster or prawns ? Yum.. :nod:

Red Lobster is nothing to be jealous of.

Ever seen the kitchen in a Red Lobster? It's nothing but a bank of microwaves. The only thing they cook there is the biscuits. They actually do bake them. Last time we ate in one, we were seated by the kitchen and got to see the entire "cooking" process. Our waitress also asked us if our food was "warm enough".

No more red lobster for us. We can get frozen seafood out of the grocery store.

There is a guy here that raises tilapia. People tried to get me to do it too. Sounded too good to be true and the setup is very expensive. They are grown in houses similar to chicken houses and the grow really fast. The setup is really neat though. Complete and efficiency in fish farming. When the fish are to size, they are pulled out of the vats and go into a conveyor system where they are filleted. Once filleted, the remaining meat from the bone section is pressed out and used for fish sticks and squares. The ones raised here are bland to me.

Jogeephus":1z45bku8 said:
There is a guy here that raises tilapia. People tried to get me to do it too. Sounded too good to be true and the setup is very expensive. They are grown in houses similar to chicken houses and the grow really fast. The setup is really neat though. Complete and efficiency in fish farming. When the fish are to size, they are pulled out of the vats and go into a conveyor system where they are filleted. Once filleted, the remaining meat from the bone section is pressed out and used for fish sticks and squares. The ones raised here are bland to me.

We had some friends that raised frogs in the desert for retaurants and medical research. The buildings were a couple f hundred feet square with plastic swimming pools in them. Air conditioned and the whole deal. The always stunk like frog crap to me but to them it was the smell of money. Everything was dandy for a couple of years until they were away for a day and the power went out. You never want to smell millions of dead rotting frogs in a closed building.

dun":2oiusuqk said:
Jogeephus":2oiusuqk said:

We had some friends that raised frogs in the desert for retaurants and medical research. The buildings were a couple f hundred feet square with plastic swimming pools in them. Air conditioned and the whole deal. The always stunk like frog crap to me but to them it was the smell of money. Everything was dandy for a couple of years until they were away for a day and the power went out. You never want to smell millions of dead rotting frogs in a closed building.

Sounds kinda like this setup but the vats are concrete. A friend of mine helped wire the place and he was telling me about all the sophisticated panel boxes electronics and alarms they had. Didn't know half of what he was talking about but he was really impressed with the setup. Sounded very expensive to me.

angie":1blh6aul said:
I had it at Red Lobster with my daughter last week. I am sure dun or MM will point out that I will eat anything ~ but I thought it was good stuff!

The reason I like Red Lobster is because of the cross section of society you see in there. I saw prom kids, people that looked like they dressed up once a year and this was it, folks in cut off shorts. It's pretty funny. I know when I was a kid going to Red Lobster was high living. I guess it still is for a lot of folks. I don't think I got that dressed up for my last marriage.

Jogeephus":moc4knbb said:

The ADM plant near me raises a huge amount of them. They use the extra heat from there cogen plant and waste from the hydroponic vegtable growing along with regular fish food. It is a very precise process from hatching all the way to the door. They sell all of there fish in the ''round'' to wholsaelers. They are easier to transport and they make more profit. They have been growing them for a long time.

never2old2learn-ron":8hwi5zg6 said:
What the heck is Tilapia? I have seen it advertised quite a lot lately. I gather it is some type of seafood. But I never heard of it before. Do I just live too far from the world of fine dining, or is it something new?

we have them all over in florida. we grew them in our pond lol.

Latest posts