Tight Calving Season

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
Breeding season is over. All Bred AI on natural heats. Ronnie has not passed 21 days post AI. She was the last to calve in October. If she sticks, here is my fall 2017 calving season based on 285 day gestation period:

Miss Mo 9/10. Uno Mas
Bartlet 9/12. Ironhide
Summer 9/14. Optimizer (owner Fire Sweep)
Melaina 9/18. Upgrade
Socks 9/19. Ironhide
Abby 9/19. Broadway
Twister 9/20. Ironhide
Price 9/20. Live Ammo
Kim Kardashian 9/23. Broadway
Cricket 9/23. Optimizer
Star 9/25. Live Ammo
Reina 9/28. Elevate
Tatum 9/30. Upgrade
Margo 10/7. Optimizer
Mercedes 10/11. Ironhide
Ronnie 10/23. Optimizer

I have one Spring Heifer due March 10 to Uno Mas. Otherwise, I have them all setup for fall calves. One calving season, one breeding season. And no bull to manage. I did not have to use CIDRs to kick start an estrus cycle and many of them were bred back in less than 60 days post partum. My cows are well conditioned but it is not hurting fertility.

Note: I had good heats. In a previous post on estrus behavior, I mentioned some suppressed estrus behavior. Actually, estrus behavior was strong but I did have 5 cases where I did not observe standing. I mentioned that to Kenley Conner this week when he serviced my tank. He said it is not unusual. Some of the higher ranking cows do not get riden as much.

PS: just in case Ebenezer reads this. I like my Fluff and Puff AI program. :cboy:

Stocker Steve":xnxdnsch said:
Pretty tight. How did you select or feed to get this?

I use Vitafirm mineral all year. I firmly believe it improves fertility. Otherwise, they are on grass and hay. I do feed a mixed feed on a random basis to manage my herd and as a treat. There was no selection process. It is successful because of the time I spend watching heats and I have mastered the AI procedures. Last year I stuck 11 cows in sequence on first service. I had a couple this year that I stuck on second service. One was a heifer. I also bred about 5 both am and pm because I was not sure of their cycle. Using an extra straw to me is worth keeping their calving season tight.

There is a lot to like about a one month calving window without the hassle of having a bull around.

Congratulations.

We use a sleeve tech and he gets here when he gets here. A few get AIed two days in a row. Most are bull bred.

Our vet is not very good at predicating dates, so we don't bother palpating any more. Have had some cows slip back as they get old. We just load up a couple late settled ones in early summer and call it a season. So a less than 60 day calving window every year!

Margonme":21t9y3ml said:
Stocker Steve":21t9y3ml said:

I use Vitafirm mineral all year. I firmly believe it improves fertility. Otherwise, they are on grass and hay. I do feed a mixed feed on a random basis to manage my herd and as a treat. There was no selection process. It is successful because of the time I spend watching heats and I have mastered the AI procedures. Last year I stuck 11 cows in sequence on first service. I had a couple this year that I stuck on second service. One was a heifer. I also bred about 5 both am and pm because I was not sure of their cycle. Using an extra straw to me is worth keeping their calving season tight.

Enlighten me master on your techniques Mr AI.

True Grit Farms":30suo2og said:
Margonme":30suo2og said:
Stocker Steve":30suo2og said:

Enlighten me master on your techniques Mr AI.

Below, I will add to what I posted on one of your previous threads:

1. Use quality semen.
2. Establish a routine for loading your gun - be diligent.
3. Heat detection is paramount. Regardless how good your techniques are, there must be an egg there when the sperm is there.
4. Yes. The cervix is like the nose, they come in different shapes and sizes but they all work the same. The cervix is easy to find. Not always easy to thread your gun through.
5. Learn to clean out too much manure. Makes a big difference.
6. Work your grip on the cervix to the vaginal end to close off the fornix. The little finger side of your palm will act like a funnel and the gun will go in easier on the more difficult cervix.
7. Make sure you do not go too deep. Use your index finger to feel the tip on the uterine side of the cervix.
8. Do as many cows as you can. Know the anatomy.
9. It is a blind man's game. Form an image in your brain of what you are doing. You are manipulating a rod through a fleshy opening that is pointing back at you.
10. It is not luck. It is determination. Enjoy the challenge.

I think success is enhanced more by good heat detection than anything. But I do believe a lot of people fail to understand the anatomy. It is very important to master the placement of the semen. I talk to friends who AI and I am convinced many are depositing semen in the fornix and thinking they are through the cervix. Second, I think some get through the cervix and fail to bring the tip of the gun back to the body of the uterus.

FINALLY. SUCCESS IS A FUNCTION OF THE SUM OF ALL THE PARTS.

Good job!!!!
Your #5. Early on I did that alot or cleaning out, had a guy ask me if I wanted to breed cows or shovel Shi$? Made me think, the only 1's I clean out are the ones with to little protein and there compacted some (there tough)everything else I just go under it.
Everything else I'd say spot on.

bse":1g4lao33 said:
Good job!!!!
Your #5. Early on I did that alot or cleaning out, had a guy ask me if I wanted to breed cows or shovel Shi$? Made me think, the only 1's I clean out are the ones with to little protein and there compacted some (there tough)everything else I just go under it.
Everything else I'd say spot on.

I agree. My cows this breeding season had pretty solid feces. Sometimes I would get it in the palm of my hand and it aggravated me more than anything.

PS: just in case Ebenezer reads this. I like my Fluff and Puff AI program. :cboy:
You "done good". Are these matings to be herd building blocks or sale animals if all goes well?

I erred on the side of laziness and did a modified TAI per the Vet's experience last year. One came up open even after the bull and after AI so she is gone. But looks like the rest caught with AI. Due 2/2. All of the cows have proven something to me. Part of the expected calves should be as useful as they are out of old bulls that have long term use in the region. Others get their chance to fit in here or go into the restaurant business. I know that calves from home bulls will do well but I still like the element of surprise and expectation in AI every year or two. Old habits are hard to break.

Not enough Huff and Puff to blow your house down!

Ebenezer":1ccph5j7 said:
You "done good". Are these matings to be herd building blocks or sale animals if all goes well?

I erred on the side of laziness and did a modified TAI per the Vet's experience last year. One came up open even after the bull and after AI so she is gone. But looks like the rest caught with AI. Due 2/2. All of the cows have proven something to me. Part of the expected calves should be as useful as they are out of old bulls that have long term use in the region. Others get their chance to fit in here or go into the restaurant business. I know that calves from home bulls will do well but I still like the element of surprise and expectation in AI every year or two. Old habits are hard to break.

Not enough Huff and Puff to blow your house down!

I am going to keep 4 heifers out of the 2016 fall crop. There will probably be a couple out of this group to keep. Most will be sold.

The cows I have now fit my operation (environment) well. I am understocked and the cows have an easy go of it staying in condition.

I am a small operation and it is difficult to draw conclusions with such small numbers. Having said that, my herd breeds back well. I have cows now that are pregnant with their fourth calves that have never seen a bull. They all carry excessive condition, stay healthy and I have never had an abortion. My calves average about 88 pounds at birth but there has only been light assistance on a couple over the last three years.

Congratulations! You did good. I remember years ago you were trying to decide if you should get into AI, if you should take an AI class! I guess old Spartacus was no match for your skills :cowboy: haha

You should be very satisfied with the results. The only thing I would add to your How To list is - cull cows that don't breed by AI. I give mine 2 tries. I might give one I really like a third try, if I can make enough excuses that it might have been my fault. But really, 2 attempts and they are gone. I had to sell a really nice three year old last year. I gave her 4 tries :hide: :hide: The guy who bought her loves her. He uses a bull. She seems to prefer that :cboy:

bigbluegrass":1vm6ddgw said:
Congratulations! You did good. I remember years ago you were trying to decide if you should get into AI, if you should take an AI class! I guess old Spartacus was no match for your skills :cowboy: haha

You should be very satisfied with the results. The only thing I would add to your How To list is - cull cows that don't breed by AI. I give mine 2 tries. I might give one I really like a third try, if I can make enough excuses that it might have been my fault. But really, 2 attempts and they are gone. I had to sell a really nice three year old last year. I gave her 4 tries :hide: :hide: The guy who bought her loves her. He uses a bull. She seems to prefer that :cboy:

Thank you. First, I recommend anyone considering AI to take a class. If for no other reason than having someone else's cows to practice on. Second, one of my concerns about going it without a clean up bull, What do you do if you have a cow that will not stick to AI? Do you sell her? Haul her to a bull? Fortunately, I have not yet had to cross that bridge.

In defense of AI and I don't mean to imply that it needs to be defended, my market requires AI sired products. Even the Craigslist sales I execute are calling for a recognizable bull. My last bull was Spartacus and he came off the Rocking P ranch with a respectable pedigree but nevertheless, buyers prefer a bull whose name has been circulated.

Margonme":tj07wxsj said:
Breeding season is over. All Bred AI on natural heats. Ronnie has not passed 21 days post AI. She was the last to calve in October. If she sticks, here is my fall 2017 calving season based on 285 day gestation period:

Miss Mo 9/10. Uno Mas
Bartlet 9/12. Ironhide
Melaina 9/18. Upgrade
Socks 9/19. Ironhide
Abby 9/19. Broadway
Twister 9/20. Ironhide
Price 9/20. Live Ammo
Cricket 9/23. Optimizer
Star 9/25. Live Ammo
Reina 9/28. Elevate
Tatum 9/30. Upgrade
Margo 10/7. Optimizer
Mercedes 10/11. Ironhide
Ronnie 10/23. Optimizer

I have one Spring Heifer due March 10 to Uno Mas. Otherwise, I have them all setup for fall calves. One calving season, one breeding season. And no bull to manage. I did not have to use CIDRs to kick start an estrus cycle and many of them were bred back in less than 60 days post partum. My cows are well conditioned but it is not hurting fertility.

Note: I had good heats. In a previous post on estrus behavior, I mentioned some suppressed estrus behavior. Actually, estrus behavior was strong but I did have 5 cases where I did not observe standing. I mentioned that to Kenley Conner this week when he serviced my tank. He said it is not unusual. Some of the higher ranking cows do not get riden as much.

Not sure what your spending per straw on average, but even if it's $40 (when I AI, I'm in the $25 range). You saved a small fortune on not owning a bull.

Bigfoot":2nnxcg1s said:
Margonme":2nnxcg1s said:

Miss Mo 9/10. Uno Mas
Bartlet 9/12. Ironhide
Melaina 9/18. Upgrade
Socks 9/19. Ironhide
Abby 9/19. Broadway
Twister 9/20. Ironhide
Price 9/20. Live Ammo
Cricket 9/23. Optimizer
Star 9/25. Live Ammo
Reina 9/28. Elevate
Tatum 9/30. Upgrade
Margo 10/7. Optimizer
Mercedes 10/11. Ironhide
Ronnie 10/23. Optimizer

Not sure what your spending per straw on average, but even if it's $40 (when I AI, I'm in the $25 range). You saved a small fortune on not owning a bull.

$25 to $35. I think Upgrade is $35. I figure not managing a bull, pays for my semen.

Latest posts