Tigerstripes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

When producing F1s using Brahman and Hereford, what are the differences as far as using brahman cows and a hereford bull vs. using a brahman bull and hereford cows?

Which cross, if not both, would result in the lighter tigerstripes. how about if you wanted a mottled face, lighter color, and lots of stripes? i know the brahman diluter genes are screwy so its probably just a matter of trial and error with a whole lotta variation. at least thats what i'm assuming.

Does anyone have any experience producing F1s with Red Brahmans? would these also be tigerstriped or solid red and white? they should still have the diluter gene and that is (isnt it?) what causes the striping, correct?

I've been told that if you ues a Brahman bull on Hereford cows they will be more likly to be red baldys with a hint of striping to them and a touch of ear. If you use Brahman cows with a Hereford bull you are more likly to get true tigerstripes (more likly to be lighter) with more ear. Now i have never seen many red Brahman crosses in this part of Texas. Most of the Brahman around here are of the Grey variety. I would have to think that the latter of the two would make the lighter of the two. Hoped this helped some.
> When producing F1s using Brahman
> and Hereford, what are the
> differences as far as using
> brahman cows and a hereford bull
> vs. using a brahman bull and
> hereford cows?

> Which cross, if not both, would
> result in the lighter
> tigerstripes. how about if you
> wanted a mottled face, lighter
> color, and lots of stripes? i know
> the brahman diluter genes are
> screwy so its probably just a
> matter of trial and error with a
> whole lotta variation. at least
> thats what i'm assuming.

> Does anyone have any experience
> producing F1s with Red Brahmans?
> would these also be tigerstriped
> or solid red and white? they
> should still have the diluter gene
> and that is (isnt it?) what causes
> the striping, correct?

[email protected]

> When producing F1s using Brahman
> and Hereford, what are the
> differences as far as using
> brahman cows and a hereford bull
> vs. using a brahman bull and
> hereford cows?

> Which cross, if not both, would
> result in the lighter
> tigerstripes. how about if you
> wanted a mottled face, lighter
> color, and lots of stripes? i know
> the brahman diluter genes are
> screwy so its probably just a
> matter of trial and error with a
> whole lotta variation. at least
> thats what i'm assuming.

I attempt to produce this F1 using the Brahman bull and Hereford cow. I have sold replacement females to folks who make the cross the other way. They tell me there is no significant difference. One opinion I have watching my F1's and record keeping, is I have somewhat darker red Herefords, and if I use a bull with very much black pigment I get a somewhat higher % of chocolates, which most of my customers don't prefer, others don't care. Our family was in the registerd Hereford business for years and that is the reason we make the cross we do. I have heard that sometimes the calves from Brahman females are more difficult to get nursing, but this is just from conversation and nothing against the Brahman female. With the yellow Hereford cow and dark pigmented bulls the F1 is usually striped, however with some of my light pigmented bulls, many are white year round, those Hereford females will throw a white striped F1. In summary, I think it has more to do with individual characteristics within the herd and the pigmentation of the bulls.

> Does anyone have any experience
> producing F1s with Red Brahmans?
> would these also be tigerstriped
> or solid red and white? they
> should still have the diluter gene
> and that is (isnt it?) what causes
> the striping, correct?

[email protected]

i have also heard that brahman calves are sometimes hard to get to nurse but that was pb brahman calves, so i assumed the crossbred calves would be more vigorous. thanks for your info.

yeah i would assume that the red brahman would produce a "chocolate" baldy like Mike described with maybe some striping. thanks for your response. i like brahman cows, so that was the direction i was leaning. might be interesting to get a few reds as well as grays and do some experimenting.

Latest posts