Tigerstripe cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCKSPRINGS

Reaction score
New to the board and the cattle business. Need your help.
Have 50 acres in SW Texas full of native grass. Have well water. I want to raise a few cattle (about 5) (hobby/Pets) Will tigerstrip do well in this area ? If not what do you suggest ? Thanks for the help.

ROCKSPRINGS":2xrhrywr said:
Have 50 acres in SW Texas full of native grass. Have well water. I want to raise a few cattle (about 5) (hobby/Pets) Will tigerstrip do well in this area ? If not what do you suggest ? Thanks for the help.

Yes, they will do well there. No, I dont suggest them for a beginner.

try beefmaster cows with an angus bull or hereford cows with a brangus bull.

ROCKSPRINGS":ybtpjmm3 said:

Welcom to the boards.

Tigerstripes will do excellent in your area. Not sure if that is what you want to begin with. Some can be a little hard to handle. They would not be my first choice for a "hobby/pet". I would recommend herefords for your hobby/pet.

Aww...c'mon now. In all fairness, these tigerstripes sure do look like they'd just love to reach out and touch someone.

Tigerstripe.jpg

Or maybe they're just calling the barncat. "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." ;-)

Take care.

ps. As suggested, some nice quiet Herfs would probably be a gentler way to start out. This gal looks a little sweeter, if somewhat smart-alecky.

herfmomma.jpg

Welcome Rocksprings!

The reason that everyone is so adament about tigers for newbies, is that they are a firecracker waiting to explode. They are great cows for the south, and are really good mama's and raise good calves. However, not for the faint of heart. I have seen some tame ones, but most are really hot. By hot, I mean they will charge you in a heartbeat. They will clear the best fence, and otherwise may you miserable unless you are prepared. That's just a normal one. Don't even think about em if they just had a calf!

Hopefully caustic will come along and offer some advice. He's very experienced with tigers.

Cattle Annie recommended herefords. If your ulitimate goal is to have tigers, start with herefords and get used to cattle. Then buy a good brahman bull, and the offspring will be tigers.

Good luck

Tigers are not for beginners they get here with there fuse lit and will blow there nose in your back pocket. If you really want to get into some good cattle for beginners here is the place.
The Galveston County Fair has a commericial heifer show and sale every spring, the cattle are raised by 4H and FFA kids for replacements. You can find some top quality cattle here that are dog gentle and help a kid at the same time, I have donated several calfs through the years to these kids. I almost bought a couple of Tiger girls last year at the sale. You will be able to find all types of breeds ready to go to work these heifers are judged by Cattlemen and are ready to go to work, not your typical show calf that falls apart when it hits the pasture.
Now if you decide to go with the Tigers you had better get a mentor in your area to help you set up your infrastructure before you start and to learn from.

Welcome aboard rocksprings. Best of luck getting started, you made a good move getting on here, lots of knowledge and funnin. Don't take it all to personally but at least listen to all the advice you get and go from there.

Oh yeah they're all right about tigers.

I think this is the first time I have seen someone ask about "what breed" and the A word wasn't the first answer. Just kiddin' ya'll. :p :p

CattleAnnie":2y2kod7w said:
Aww...c'mon now. In all fairness, these tigerstripes sure do look like they'd just love to reach out and touch someone.

Tigerstripe.jpg

Or maybe they're just calling the barncat. "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." ;-)

Take care.

ps. As suggested, some nice quiet Herfs would probably be a gentler way to start out. This gal looks a little sweeter, if somewhat smart-alecky.

herfmomma.jpg

Annie thank God they don't have a full set of teeth like a horse or they would take a bite out of your ass while blowing there nose in your pocket.

for pets/hobby, get some cheaper than dirt longhorns. low cost, virtually no extra management needed for SW Texas environment, with a brangus or limousin bull if you want them to produce profit. Look into the breed first, as these fellas on this board have their opinions set with little experience with longhorns.

TxStateCowboy":1y67w0d8 said:
for pets/hobby, get some cheaper than dirt longhorns. low cost, virtually no extra management needed for SW Texas environment, with a brangus or limousin bull if you want them to produce profit. Look into the breed first, as these fellas on this board have their opinions set with little experience with longhorns.

Thats kinda like ridin a moped they are a lot of fun but you just don't want your friends to know you own one.

Caustic Burno":6by8gjak said:
TxStateCowboy":6by8gjak said:

Thats kinda like ridin a moped they are a lot of fun but you just don't want your friends to know you own one.

Truer words never spoken.

Scotty

Was just in Rocksprings on Monday looking at some property....gotta tell you folks that's some pretty rough and rocky country out there. Didn't see a Hereford one, but did see a few Angus herds on the way out to Carta Valley. The majority of the herds I saw were just plain ol Brahman cross cows and a few Longhorn herds and now I can see why they'll eat anything. They virtually have to out in that country. All I could think of on the way out there was that my Herefords would wilt in that kind of country.

If it were me, I'd head into the sale barn there in Junction, and see what they have going through. (will probably be doing that in the near future anyhow) Seems to me that would be a good indicator on what breed or types would do well in that country. Or I was also thinking on the 4 hr drive out that way that a LonghornXAngus cross might do out there too.

Oh, keep in mind that you've had one of the wettest springs on record out there this past year, so if you're new to the area, it ain't always gonna look that lush.......Good gosh, that's hard country!

Caustic: 'Annie thank God they don't have a full set of teeth like a horse or they would take a bite out of your ass while blowing there nose in your pocket.'

Come now. Those tigers are just friendly, that's all. Probably just itching to get up close and personal.

Wouldn't a cross between those Tiger-striped gals and a bull like one of these below make for some shining examples of hybrid vigour in cattle?

Check out this fellow. Even winks at ya.

brindlebull.jpg

Or how about this sleepy lookin' critter? Docility plus...

sleepybullHAHA.jpg

Take care.

TR":zhd429ea said:
Was just in Rocksprings on Monday looking at some property....gotta tell you folks that's some pretty rough and rocky country out there. Didn't see a Hereford one, but did see a few Angus herds on the way out to Carta Valley. The majority of the herds I saw were just plain ol Brahman cross cows and a few Longhorn herds and now I can see why they'll eat anything. They virtually have to out in that country. All I could think of on the way out there was that my Herefords would wilt in that kind of country.

If it were me, I'd head into the sale barn there in Junction, and see what they have going through. (will probably be doing that in the near future anyhow) Seems to me that would be a good indicator on what breed or types would do well in that country. Or I was also thinking on the 4 hr drive out that way that a LonghornXAngus cross might do out there too.

Oh, keep in mind that you've had one of the wettest springs on record out there this past year, so if you're new to the area, it ain't always gonna look that lush.......Good gosh, that's hard country!

They call Edwards County the Angora Goat Capitol of the World. Ive been out there 12 years, know about the weather dry- dry -dry- but like you said, lot of rain this past year. If you dont raise goats, you buy alot of hay.

Rock

ROCKSPRINGS":8owjd5t9 said:
They call Edwards County the Angora Goat Capitol of the World. Ive been out there 12 years, know about the weather dry- dry -dry- but like you said, lot of rain this past year. If you dont raise goats, you buy alot of hay.

Rock

lol! That's what the sign said! :lol:

I was just amazed at how harsh that country is, I guess I'm just used to the lush pastures of Brenham. Seems that there were quite a few irrigated hay fields there in Junction coming in on 377(?)

As rough as it is out there, it sure is pretty....

If your dead set on tigers i would buy some that have had a experianced handler. and that are pretty settled they aint gonna charge at you unless they feel threatend. they are however full of pi$$ and vinegar.they wont tolerate being pushed or mishandled put your hotshot away it wont be needed unless you really like to play cowboy ;-)

Latest posts