Tigerstripe bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Jdwest

Reaction score
What kind of calves would a tigerstripe bull have if he breeds brangus and brangus baldies? I found a good deal on one and I'm wondering if it would be a good investment since I could be looking for a bull in the next year or so.

I just sold a Tigerstripe bull two weeks ago that I had for 5+ years. You can find the post here where every one reamed me when I first got him. The fact is he was bred from blood lines that have been ranching those cattle for like, 100 years. Most people on here will tell you don't do it, but if you do it right you will laugh all the way to the bank.

It will depend on how true your Brangus cows are and what they carry. I had "Brangus type" cattle. He would throw solid blacks, black mots, solid reds, red mots, and even some tiger stripes.... all of which are good for me... and the buyers.

I do advise to make sure you buy from a solid breeder with history. There are people who purposely breed those cattle and have been for years. If you go to the Braford sales you will see a lot of the registered bulls and cows tiger striped. Their breeding is just as tight and controlled as any other. Don't just buy a bull because he is tiger striped. There are a lot of ways to get a Tiger Stripe and you still want genetics and history not just hide color.

I'm in the market for another Braford bull to put back across our Braford and Brangus Type cattle right now.

I have some more pics of his calves on my lap top. I really hated to part with him because he was tough as nails and his daughters are tough as nails.

You have to weigh the benefits of what you want. You are running Brangus now for a reason. If you start buying F1, 50/50 Tiger Stipe bulls, you will really limit you buying options vs buying a Braford or Brangus Bull.

A good Braford bull will do every thing just as good, or better, than an F1 Tiger IMO, and you can keep that 3/8 Brahman so you don't get over saturated. If you purposely want more Brahman then you can usually find 50/50 bulls, both Herf X and Angus X, at the Brangus and Braford breeders.

Jdwest":17t0bl3n said:
What kind of calves would a tigerstripe bull have if he breeds brangus and brangus baldies? I found a good deal on one and I'm wondering if it would be a good investment since I could be looking for a bull in the next year or so.

What is this bulls breeding? Is he F1 Braford, registered Braford or Beefmaster or something else?

I see them for sale all over craigslist, I figure its people trying to get out of taking them to the auction.

I sell f1 bulls to ranchers from Baton Rouge,Port Arthur,Winnie,Bolivar Peninsula. They claim the f1 will survive and outperform purebred bulls in that harsh environment in the marsh. They can handle the flies,ticks and mosquitoes better(had a goose lease down White's ranch road in the 80's mosquitoes big as drones and millions of them) if you have cattle in creek or river bottom that flood the tigerstripe bull will work for you. If you do not need that extra Brahman influence stay with what works for your climate and conditions. I would suggest before you buy from anyone ask for past customers name for references and see where your supplier bought his cattle. I would not buy any bull cause it is a good deal as you get what you pay for

f1tiger":3r6ec4gh said:
I sell f1 bulls to ranchers from Baton Rouge,Port Arthur,Winnie,Bolivar Peninsula. They claim the f1 will survive and outperform purebred bulls in that harsh environment in the marsh. They can handle the flies,ticks and mosquitoes better(had a goose lease down White's ranch road in the 80's mosquitoes big as drones and millions of them) if you have cattle in creek or river bottom that flood the tigerstripe bull will work for you. If you do not need that extra Brahman influence stay with what works for your climate and conditions. I would suggest before you buy from anyone ask for past customers name for references and see where your supplier bought his cattle. I would not buy any bull cause it is a good deal as you get what you pay for
+1

Brute 23":37hu2deh said:
Two of my favorite pics. Tiger bull on two home raised half-sisters. Most of these are bulls in the pics but people go crazy over their heifer mates for replacements and the bulls sell good thru the ring.

Nice calves

Thanks

Here are a couple more. The two calves on the left are both from that same TS Bull and Brangus Type cattle. The cow to the right is a retained heifer out of the same TS Bull. That is her first calf from a straight Hereford Bull.

As you can tell these are not F1 crosses. Their striping is a little different and they don't carry a lot of the white like going back to a straight Hereford. You cant see the calf milking but he looks like a Hereford.

That little heifer stretched out up front is on my watch list. They are out of proportion because of the pic but she is younger than the bull calf in the back and is just now starting to fill out little by little.

You can see what people mean by you will get a melting pot of colors and stuff when you breed a crossbred bull to crossbred cows. If the calves all being identical looking is important to you than you can clearly see why so many people are against it. For me, I am happy with the quality of these calves because I know what it cost me to raise them. The color or breed doesn't matter to me that much. IMO, with good cattle you should be able to put what ever kind of bull you want on them and get good calves. I had an Angus Bull out with some of the same cows and the calves looked the same, just more black. The Hereford bull's calves look the same, just more red and white. At the end of the day I think you are just choosing what color paint you want to use most of the time. :)

Brute 23 said:
Thanks

Here are a couple more. The two calves on the left are both from that same TS Bull and Brangus Type cattle. The cow to the right is a retained heifer out of the same TS Bull. That is her first calf from a straight Hereford Bull.

As you can tell these are not F1 crosses. Their striping is a little different and they don't carry a lot of the white like going back to a straight Hereford. You cant see the calf milking but he looks like a Hereford.

That little heifer stretched out up front is on my watch list. They are out of proportion because of the pic but she is younger than the bull calf in the back and is just now starting to fill out little by little.

You can see what people mean by you will get a melting pot of colors and stuff when you breed a crossbred bull to crossbred cows. If the calves all being identical looking is important to you than you can clearly see why so many people are against it. For me, I am happy with the quality of these calves because I know what it cost me to raise them. The color or breed doesn't matter to me that much. IMO, with good cattle you should be able to put what ever kind of bull you want on them and get good calves. I had an Angus Bull out with some of the same cows and the calves looked the same, just more black. The Hereford bull's calves look the same, just more red and white. At the end of the day I think you are just choosing what color paint you want to use most of the time. :)

[/quo

Good looking calves.

Sorry for not replying to you guys earlier but I got off the forum for a while due to being out of state and numerous other things. If you replied thank you all for your input. I decided not to go with the bull and stick with a brangus and ultrablack bulls.

Why would you want tiger stripped cattle? Are they more valuable? Why would you want a tiger stripped cow rather than a bull? We run brangus. I culled a tiger stripped cow because she wasn't black. When I culled her I sent her to my brothers herd. She now has a 700 pound heifer calf which is also stripped.