tigerstipe cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford/Brahman crosses often (but not always) produce tigerstripe offspring

the tigerstripe you hear the most about are the f1 brahma and hereford cows that are striped and are some of the best cows around. there are other combinations that can produce them.
> what breeds make up
> "tigerstripe" cattle

[email protected]

They are generally great cattle, except for one thing. It seems like they're crazy as often as not. More than once we've sworn we'd never have any more. But it sure is hard to pass on them sometimes, they look so good and perform so well.

Craig-TX

& if you're raising Brahman/Herefords you pray every calving season that they'll all be heifers

I raise them, and you are exactly right. As for the disposition concerns, which I understand is out there, there are bloodlines of Brahman that I try to avoid. Our F1s are actually more gentle than many of their Hereford mothers. Just my opinion, but I think alot of the disposition is about how they are raised and cared for. We move quietly and slowly when penning them, and use the "bucket and feed" method, as much as possible. Folks who don't understand this, most of the time will not be happy owning this cross. If they have been handled recklessly I wouldn't own them either.

> & if you're raising
> Brahman/Herefords you pray every
> calving season that they'll all be
> heifers

[email protected]

We must have chosen the wrong Brahman bloodlines when we were using Brahman bulls on our Hereford cows because working calves was kind of like working deer. We also worked them quietly & just kind of let them find the open gates and chutes themselves instead of pushing them too hard. We have since switched to Brangus bulls and the calves seem to have much better dispositions (of course, not all of them, but as a whole) and now have both steers and heifers sell well.

> I raise them, and you are exactly
> right. As for the disposition
> concerns, which I understand is
> out there, there are bloodlines of
> Brahman that I try to avoid. Our
> F1s are actually more gentle than
> many of their Hereford mothers.
> Just my opinion, but I think alot
> of the disposition is about how
> they are raised and cared for. We
> move quietly and slowly when
> penning them, and use the
> "bucket and feed"
> method, as much as possible. Folks
> who don't understand this, most of
> the time will not be happy owning
> this cross. If they have been
> handled recklessly I wouldn't own
> them either.

Are these the same as Brindle cattle???

[email protected]

Brindle and Tigerstripe is the same thing.

Lets get something straight though, Tigerstripe is not a type of cattle, its a description, a color pattern. I realize people call BrahmanXHereford F1s "tigerstripes" all the time but this leads to confusion b/c several breeds and/or crosses produce this coloration. when you say brindle or tigerstripe you could be referring to an F1, a Beefmaster, a Brangus cross, etc.

In general when one says a tigerstripe he/she is referring to a brahmanxhereford F1, but not always.

The diluter gene in Braunvieh is also a brindle.

dun

> Brindle and Tigerstripe is the
> same thing.

> Lets get something straight
> though, Tigerstripe is not a type
> of cattle, its a description, a
> color pattern. I realize people
> call BrahmanXHereford F1s
> "tigerstripes" all the
> time but this leads to confusion
> b/c several breeds and/or crosses
> produce this coloration. when you
> say brindle or tigerstripe you
> could be referring to an F1, a
> Beefmaster, a Brangus cross, etc.

> In general when one says a
> tigerstripe he/she is referring to
> a brahmanxhereford F1, but not
> always.

> same thing.

> "tigerstripes" all the

> always.

Don't want to be too "picky" but (at least in my part of SE Texas) when we refer to tigerstripes we of course mean an F1 Brahman-Hereford cross but we refer to "brindle" animals as meaning something somewhat different. The true F1 Brahman-Hereford "tigerstipe" (and not all of them actually "stripe up") will almost always have a predominantly white head and many times be "ring-eyed". Whereas, a "brindle" animal is usually darker in overall color and is generally thought to have less Hereford influence; could be a composite with Braunvieh, most certainly Brahman or Black Brangus and perhaps a bunch of other breeds in its genetic makeup --- more of a Heinz 57 type animal, but always with a strong Brahman influence.

At any rate the tigerstripes and brindles generally make excellent cows for the gulf coast area. And Brahman are noted for being extremely receptive to "kind and gentle" treatment, if given that treatment when young. They of course can be wild as hell if treated improperly.

When I was a kid it seems like everybody had a big ole heavy horned Brahman bull in his pasture that just dared you to set foot in his domain so he could tear you up! Thankfully most reputable Brahman breeders have for many years culled those "bad apples".

Talk about temperament - had one do a dance on me at a rodeo in 1995 - split my Skull! A very Biased opinion - only want one if he is on a spit!!!

Alex

When we ran Brahma bulls in the desert they would get pretty territorial. I've had them lay back and hide in the bush till you passed then run at you from behind. Talk about exciting. Never got caught so I don't know if they were serious or just messing around. Doesn't really matter.

dun

> Don't want to be too
> "picky" but (at least in
> my part of SE Texas) when we refer
> to tigerstripes we of course mean
> an F1 Brahman-Hereford cross but
> we refer to "brindle"
> animals as meaning something
> somewhat different. The true F1
> Brahman-Hereford
> "tigerstipe" (and not
> all of them actually "stripe
> up") will almost always have
> a predominantly white head and
> many times be
> "ring-eyed". Whereas, a
> "brindle" animal is
> usually darker in overall color
> and is generally thought to have
> less Hereford influence; could be
> a composite with Braunvieh, most
> certainly Brahman or Black Brangus
> and perhaps a bunch of other
> breeds in its genetic makeup ---
> more of a Heinz 57 type animal,
> but always with a strong Brahman
> influence.

> At any rate the tigerstripes and
> brindles generally make excellent
> cows for the gulf coast area. And
> Brahman are noted for being
> extremely receptive to "kind
> and gentle" treatment, if
> given that treatment when young.
> They of course can be wild as hell
> if treated improperly.

> When I was a kid it seems like
> everybody had a big ole heavy
> horned Brahman bull in his pasture
> that just dared you to set foot in
> his domain so he could tear you
> up! Thankfully most reputable
> Brahman breeders have for many
> years culled those "bad
> apples".

> what breeds make up
> "tigerstripe" cattle

Here in Australia we call that colour brindle. They generally are a cross between Brahman and Hereford but they do occur with other breeds,its just that the Hereford is the or has been the more common breed to cross them with. I have several brindle cows these are (SB1)my first cross South Brahvons a cross that I have using South Devon and Brahman. Usually the next cross either to an SD or a Brahman will get rid of the brindle. Brindle cattle always seem to be the best mothers irrespective of what breed.

[email protected]

> same thing.

> "tigerstripes" all the

> always.

I understood that it was a color,I was curious though my neighboor has one we don't know her breeding,she is a brindle and a VERY GOOD mother her calf is huge.But he can't get the weight back on her and although she is healthy she looks like a dairy cow. I was just wondering if they are like that. Thanks

[email protected]

some of mine are that way... they never seem to flesh up like the rest, but raise a great calf... giving it all to the calf... she should pick up once the calf is weaned but may never fatten like some of the others.....

gene

> I understood that it was a color,I
> was curious though my neighboor
> has one we don't know her
> breeding,she is a brindle and a
> VERY GOOD mother her calf is
> huge.But he can't get the weight
> back on her and although she is
> healthy she looks like a dairy
> cow. I was just wondering if they
> are like that. Thanks

[email protected]