tiger stripes

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground, I have to dissagree with you on this one. As the Hereford females are still not in the biggest demand, I would buy some really top quality pigmented Hereford cows and put the best quality Brahman bull that I could afford on them.

la4angus":3gcb0u45 said:
Campground, I have to dissagree with you on this one. As the Hereford females are still not in the biggest demand, I would buy some really top quality pigmented Hereford cows and put the best quality Brahman bull that I could afford on them.

That wasn't what I was saying I was trying to say put a Hereford bull on Brahman cows. Get the lower birth wieghts from the Hereford and easy calving ability of the Brahman.

Brahman cows x Hereford bulls. You won't have the calving problems crossing this way, but run more risk with Hereford cows and Brahman bulls.

Unfortunately this is also the most $$ way, since Brahman cows will cost more than Herefords.

TheBullLady":15g548jd said:
Brahman cows x Hereford bulls. You won't have the calving problems crossing this way, but run more risk with Hereford cows and Brahman bulls.

Unfortunately this is also the most $$ way, since Brahman cows will cost more than Herefords.

There have been several sutdys over the years that have found (claimed) that Brahman cows will throw smaller calves in a crossbreeding situation then if a Brahman bull is used to create the same cross.

dun

boc indu type cattle ( brahman ) have a restricted blood flow to there uturis , thus a smaller calf , its not claimed , its fact

When you cross a brahman bull on an exotic or cont. breed the hybred vigor starts in the womb which means you will have a larger calf at birth. When you use Brahman cows with and exotic or cont bull then the hybred vigor takes over after they calf is born. Therefore you have a small birth weigh but the calf will grow quickly. Now I am not trying to start a debate or make anyone mad but that is how it has been explained to me.

txshowmom":3f521hw4 said:
When you cross a brahman bull on an exotic or cont. breed the hybred vigor starts in the womb which means you will have a larger calf at birth. When you use Brahman cows with and exotic or cont bull then the hybred vigor takes over after they calf is born. Therefore you have a small birth weigh but the calf will grow quickly. Now I am not trying to start a debate or make anyone mad but that is how it has been explained to me.

Hybrid vigor starts during the entire time from conception, actaully probably a not at the second of conception. Hybrid vigor isn't just a growth issue. It's also the vitality of the newborn calf. The earlier post about the blood flow to the uterus is probably the real reason. The stuff I had read said that the Brahman cow has the ability to control the calves growth. The blood suppy would seem to be the logical way.
Or it could just be magic.

dun

Anonymous":osfo4z9n said:
boc indu type cattle ( brahman ) have a restricted blood flow to there uturis , thus a smaller calf , its not claimed , its fact

this guest is correct . you need to be a member :lol: :cboy:

I am sure Herefords make great mamas too. Brahmans have the added benefit of continuing to milk in hot weather. I have often refered to them as suicidal milkers because I have never seen one dry up even when we are in a drought and there is basically not enough to eat. The calves never show any stress from drought just the cows.

Just a quick comment

Brahman Bulls on continental type females will typically produce a larger calf

The Blood flow to the uterous is questionable at best, each female is different

calves from Brahman bulls hit the groud at a run darn near and grow qickly

Brahman females are great moms, very $$$$, but worth it because they also have greater longevity if managed properly up to 18+ years

I would say use Hereford Bull on Brahman type cows, will work well, and calves are very marketable

Latest posts