Tiger stripes

Help Support CattleToday:

bishopcattleco":o9ayp0gx said:
1982 vett u show me where i said i have been on these boards for 5 years.1982 i dont have a shitt key.i just cant find it anywhere.i will admit im not good with a computer .since u r show me .

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62912&p=735271#p735271

ok i do apologize alacattlemen i am new but i have been reading these boards for about 5 years.sombody on here thought i needed to know the history of the brahman breed.i just dont like the yard ornament thing.if there where not brahman cattle the world would starve.people do make a living with them...

BTW, just tell me why you now have a problem with spelling and deciphering a word. I know I don't have a clue why that is but I'll be sure to run this post by the spell check to help you out.

You have the right to your opinion of your pets just as we have a right to think you are blind to the dangers these cattle pose to some unsuspecting owner. It is obvious that some of us, after reading and answering Dixie's posts over the last year and a half, (by the way "she" is a "he" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57455&p=663902#p663902) understand Dixie's interest in tigerstripe cows. We also feel it is irresponsible to say
dixie there are gentle tigerstripe braford cattle in america dont let texasbred,alabama slammer sandwich,or 1982 vett tell u there are not.they are misinformants
as we are not blowing smoke up anyone's butt. Their are far more that would just as soon run over you as around you. But just the same, you were right, the original post was about raising F1's with Brahman cows. Not running F1 cows. Just the same, we just don't think they are a good match for Dixie at this time. In the future as experience with cattle is gained......maybe. But at this time NOT. That is our opinion and we stand by it. Now when one of your "pets" stomp Dixie into the ground, we weren't the one that said" Sure Dixie, they make good cows. Mine are pets.
KNERSIE":o9ayp0gx said:
Just a question for those who have real world experience with F1s...

Do you see any difference in disposition in the offspring when you breed a brahman bull to hereford cows as opposed to breeding a hereford bull to brahman cows?

In my experience the cow's disposition plays a bigger role in the aquired disposition of the calf than any other factor, so the calmer hereford cows should in theory yield better dispositioned calves than the same cross out of the brahman cows. Just wondering if it holds true in the real world of breeding F1s/quot
i have gentle brahman cows i can pet on .in return while im petting them 1/2 of the babies turn into pets.the rest of the caives are just right in disposition.

Now for turnabout Mr. Show Me Where, show me where we said their were no, not one, none, zippo gentle tigerstirpe braford cattle in america. I doubt any of use made that statement.

To each his own...

bishopcattleco":3skxzurc said:
texas bred i asked u a simople question.i got a stupid reply as always now i am going to ask again where did i ever say anything about owning trader cattle or anything about trader cattle.texasbred be smart about it go back and read the post.i already know whats going to happen .
No bishop you got the answer you deserved...and no you never mentioned trader cows...I DID..and I said it to "Bammy", not to you...bet you got some too. Now answer me this..what the he&& is a "simople" question??

KNERSIE":1rwt2prk said:
In my experience the cow's disposition plays a bigger role in the aquired disposition of the calf than any other factor

Absolutely. Not only that, but one wild eye cow can stir up the whole bunch. When I change pastures and start honking and calling, the brindles are in the lead along with two brangus. The rest fall in. Today I moved 64 head through three pastures, across a paved road, and into another pasture. The brindles led all the way. If one cow would have broken off and ran in fear, it would have been complicated. As is, things were simple.

Been around brindles (just can't call them tigerstripes) since the earliest memories in the early 60's. I'll be running a few in with my brangus up until they time they auction off my cattle in an estate auction.

Someone discussed taking a hit on the steers coming out of a brindled eared cow. Absolutely, but the steer will be much heavier.

No one mentioned the premium on bred heifers/cows. Around these parts that is the way it is anyway.

if i offended anyone on this subject i am sorry.ala i told u i was sorry.i have read these boards for 5 years.there is not 1 person on here that i know anything about by reading there post.i dont really care how i spell on these boards im not in school no more. if u dont have a clue what i am saying dont reply back.i dont have alot of time to be on these boards.the truth is i would rather my kids be around any cow i have then any horse in the world.i dont know who dixie is or there situation sorry if i said she instead of he.i like to talk to people on these boards who are interested in the same kind of cattle i am.i know down in texas cattle are crazy.just like here where i live.i will not own a crazy cow.but people have tiger brafords as show cattle why can you people not get it threw your head they are just as gentle as a jersey.just because you people had bad tigers does not mean that everyone has.do you people tell dixie how to milk a cow how to feed a cow everthing.because if he cant learn on his own he dont need any cattle.because a jersey can hurt u as bad as any brahman cross.i come on these boards to help and help represent the breeds i like.i give my opinions they are not facts.ala and texas bred think everything they say is a fact.it does no good when i tell texas bred i dont deal in trader cattle.texas bred is a liar.im gonna do this the easy way.next to everyones post you can vote.simply put gone or stay.i will gladly leave these boards.i dont have alot of time for these boards anyway.dixie you do what you want its not impossible. give me some time i have to travel for the next 4to5 days. please everyone vote

bishopcattleco":1l9mkyla said:
KNERSIE":1l9mkyla said:
Just a question for those who have real world experience with F1s...

Do you see any difference in disposition in the offspring when you breed a brahman bull to hereford cows as opposed to breeding a hereford bull to brahman cows?

In my experience the cow's disposition plays a bigger role in the aquired disposition of the calf than any other factor, so the calmer hereford cows should in theory yield better dispositioned calves than the same cross out of the brahman cows. Just wondering if it holds true in the real world of breeding F1s/quot
i have gentle brahman cows i can pet on .in return while im petting them 1/2 of the babies turn into pets.the rest of the caives are just right in disposition.
When I was raising F1's I received a premium for their gentle disposition. Typically you need to have the good temperament genes on both sides. Just like the Brahman even with good genes, training, or the way they are handled plays a very important role. I do not believe it makes any difference wither you use a Hereford bull or Brahman bull. Generally speaking I think most of the temperament factor will come from the Brahman influence side regardless if it is the cow or the bull. Therefore one would want a long line of docility influence in which ever way they choose. Since the use of Brahman bull over Hereford cows would be influencing all the calves it seems that would be the easiest rout to take in assuring more docile calves.

I know other F1 breeders that take the temperament trait seriously, as they should. It is just as important as any other trait when it comes down to putting quality meat on the table. By now it is a well known fact that temperament has a lot to do with the tenderness. This of course is aside from the fact that it is a much more pleasurable job raising more docile cattle.
Most F1 calves and heifers are going to be excitable. As they grow older they seem to calm down if they a handled correctly. Those that don't should be culled. They will ruin the rest of the herd. They will produce tough meat. They may even get you injured or killed.

bishopcattleco":13wsma0j said:
if i offended anyone on this subject i am sorry.ala i told u i was sorry.i have read these boards for 5 years.there is not 1 person on here that i know anything about by reading there post.i dont really care how i spell on these boards im not in school no more. if u dont have a clue what i am saying dont reply back.i dont have alot of time to be on these boards.the truth is i would rather my kids be around any cow i have then any horse in the world.i dont know who dixie is or there situation sorry if i said she instead of he.i like to talk to people on these boards who are interested in the same kind of cattle i am.i know down in texas cattle are crazy.just like here where i live.i will not own a crazy cow.but people have tiger brafords as show cattle why can you people not get it threw your head they are just as gentle as a jersey.just because you people had bad tigers does not mean that everyone has.do you people tell dixie how to milk a cow how to feed a cow everthing.because if he cant learn on his own he dont need any cattle.because a jersey can hurt u as bad as any brahman cross.i come on these boards to help and help represent the breeds i like.i give my opinions they are not facts.ala and texas bred think everything they say is a fact.it does no good when i tell texas bred i dont deal in trader cattle.texas bred is a liar.im gonna do this the easy way.next to everyones post you can vote.simply put gone or stay.i will gladly leave these boards.i dont have alot of time for these boards anyway.dixie you do what you want its not impossible. give me some time i have to travel for the next 4to5 days. please everyone vote
i vote you stay as long as you want,,,, but in the future read folks post """ completely""" and note the difference in posters user names before you jump to conclusions

backhoeboogie":1j2xzuox said:
Someone discussed taking a hit on the steers coming out of a brindled eared cow. Absolutely, but the steer will be much heavier.

No one mentioned the premium on bred heifers/cows. Around these parts that is the way it is anyway.
i tried that in vain

Ala i understand your point.Ala you yourself even told Dixie a breeder name if Dixie was interested.But then you deleted all your post.Every time i post on a subject Im not gonna go back and read someones history to answer a 30 second question.Instead of you Ala jumping to conclusions about me or the breed.I hope you guys dont have Dixie in a comfort zone with the cattle he has now.Because that is more dangerous then any breed of cattle.I would never sell dixie something that would get him or ala killed.That is the only point of trying to help dixie i was trying to make.You people that know Dixie cant stop him from buying tigerstripe heifers out of the salebarn as he posted on page 1.Why do you guys have such a problem with me trying to help dixie with the cattle that i am raising .Sorry if i offended anboby but this subject can go either way.

Aside from the extensive banter that has been posted, I would like to share my limited experience with my small herd.

We are a small farm just getting started. So far, I have a tigerstripe, a braford, and 2 herefords. I bought all of them selectively from private individuals and they were guaranteed gentle. They are all gentle, but hands down, the tigerstripe seems to read our minds when it comes time to work the cattle. She calmly puts herself in the chute and takes her shot. She gets in the trailer when we open the gate (no catch pen required). She reads the situation and does whatever we are wanting and it is almost like she reads my mind. She will, on infrequent occasion, walk over and put her head down in submission asking to be scratched on the neck. The braford and one hereford are almost that gentle (but only with feed), but the tigerstripe is clearly the best for working. And you should see the red angus X heifer she is raising. REAL NICE and heavy.

I'm a woman, new to cows after many years of horse experience. I am not physically able to cowboy around and manhandle the cattle. I have been very pleased with these cattle. The sellers were honest and forthright. I will go back to those sellers when I am ready to buy again. I'm sure there are some raunchy tigerstripes out there just like any other type of cattle. I think buying from private sellers that I now trust, made the difference. I will be buying more this fall.

So that's my opinion as a cattle newbie. FWIW