Tifton grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
For what it's worth the Tifton I sprig by hand was the only grass standing @10 days ago. With the heavy rains this spring I think every seed I've ever thrown sprouted this year. I had waist high grass but once summer crept into us it was all gone but the Tifton. I haven't been able to really make a good stand the past two years because I haven't gambled right on the rain. If the rain ever comes right when the sprigs are available I might have something. I'm going to keep working at it because I like what I see. A thumbs up for Tifton grass. It's hardy seeing we ain't really had any decent rain in months now!

ga.prime":20bs0vyg said:
There's 10 different kinds of Tifton grass.
Yea but what's your point? You guys don't miss a thing... I purposely wrote Tifton. It's 85 they say but...well what are the other 9 variety? Tifton 44 and...
What surprised me is I've allways heard these Bermuda strains still "crave" some moisture. We really haven't had any I suppose it's been living off what's trapped against the rock at my farm. The source of the sprigs has a different soil and more rain fall. It would surely be a good choice in that environment

If you can get moisture to establish it, 85 is pretty darn drought tolerant, especially since here in the southeast we rarely get anything worth even calling a drought compared to what they have out west in places. I've never heard about hogs avoiding it, they like ours a lot.

Kingfisher":3s2ikc3t said:
What surprised me is I've allways heard these Bermuda strains still "crave" some moisture. We really haven't had any I suppose it's been living off what's trapped against the rock at my farm. The source of the sprigs has a different soil and more rain fall. It would surely be a good choice in that environment

For optimal growth they do "crave water". When 85 was being developed they had a test plot on my friend's farm. This farm was selected because it had what's called Kershaw Sand which is essentially sandbox or mortar sand. Cacti and lichens were the native plants on this site but it was sprigged to test drought tolerance. After a drought they excavated an area and found the roots of the T85 went down 12 feet so it is very tolerant to drought - just doesn't shine in a drought. This characteristic is probably from the mother plant that was collected in a droughty region of Africa then crossed.

The weakness of 85 is cold weather. Not only can cold kill it but it will also allow other more cold tolerant grasses - common bermuda being the worst - to encroach in your plantings. Common bermuda is bad about doing this and it can take over if left untreated so if you see any spot spray it as soon as possible.

bird dog":g7k00u5u said:
Why will the hogs avoid it?

I don't know why. We have never had hogs roll up Tifton. They have rooted right up to it in spots where the Tifton hadn't taken over but I have never seen Tifton get rolled up. We have some native pasture and they would root it like crazy and get right to the Tifton and stop.

Maybe some others on this board can share their experiences because it almost seems to good to be true.

Brute 23":249jg030 said:
Tifton 85 is amazing and no it doesn't crave moisture, hogs won't root in it, and it will stay green through the winter around here if you don't graze it too short.

With a little moisture and fert it will grow inches a day.

They sure rooted the heII out of mine.

Good luck with your sprigging.
I sprigged Jiggs with pitch forks and a disc this spring and it's looking real good so far. I got real lucky and it rained 3/4 inch labor day weekend and 1 3/4 two Friday's ago,

In draught T85 will die back to the mother plant. With the right moisture it will out do anything. In you area you not have to worry much about freeze kill.
I would not put all my eggs in one basket. I plant WW B Dahl for back up. It will produce more with less water. It must be managed for grazing as over grazing will kill it. It also should be untouched during the first year of establishment.
One of the problems with most highly palatable grass is that I found it to not work well in mixed grass pastures as the cattle prefer it over the other grass growing with it.

Latest posts