Tifton 9 establishment

Help Support CattleToday:

firemen122

Reaction score
I am in north florida and have appr 50 acres to seed. Land is reclaimed cutover has some small wood pieces left throughout soil. I want to drag to level and pack then plant with grain drill. Less time consuming to broadcast and roll. Seed is not cheap, planting depth ideally 1/2-3/4 inch. Can I do this with grain drill? No experience with it? Already applied lime. Any suggestions? Thanks Jim

Can you irrigate it.I personally couldnt stomach the risk as dry as it's been the last few years.I can get regular P-Cola Bahia for $75 for 50#.Either way ,just be patient .Bahia dosent establish real fast.But once it does put some N to it and look out.I usally just lightly disc,broadcast,drag and cultipack .Good luck.

I planted mine with a JD drill with a small seed box. In the large seed box I planted millet. I did one field this way and one field without the millet. Got grazing with the millet none with the other. The next year I could not tell the two fields apart except for some dead millet stalks.

What is Tift 9 seed running this year?

For the difference in seed price I would plant pensacola. There is not enough difference between the two in my opinion to pay that high seed price.

LaneFarms":1ghup7lp said:
For the difference in seed price I would plant pensacola. There is not enough difference between the two in my opinion to pay that high seed price.
From what I read Tifton 9 is better in acid soil.

novatech":1r4fy9ka said:
LaneFarms":1r4fy9ka said:
From what I read Tifton 9 is better in acid soil.

Might be. Biggest difference I've seen is that Tift 9 will green up ealier than pure penn. Other than that I can't tell the difference just by looking at them. Seed heads are "a little" different. Both are good grasses and both are pennacola's.

If you plan ahead, you can collect your own seed with a barrel cut in half and a pickup truck. Last I saw the seed was getting rather ridiculus in price.

Thanks for all the replies. No I do not have irrigation. I looked at a 10 acre field of tift nine about three weeks ago just south of me and was still green and growing, pensacola fields did not. Exactly how do you collect seed with truck and drum?

firemen122":3ep81wf3 said:
Thanks for all the replies. No I do not have irrigation. I looked at a 10 acre field of tift nine about three weeks ago just south of me and was still green and growing, pensacola fields did not. Exactly how do you collect seed with truck and drum?

When it heads out, you can take and cut a drum in half. Mount this to a board and mount the board to the bumper of your truck and just ride through the field. The seed heads will hit the edge of the drum and it will strip the seed and it will be collected in the drum. You'd be surprised at what you can collect with very little effort. I have a friend who established all his bahia grass pastures this way.

Latest posts