Tifton 85

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Any of ya'll using Tifton 85, pro's and con's wanted. I have an oportunity to get some sprigs next spring. Been thinking about virtually getting rid of the cows and put the place in hay production.

you wont be happy not having no cows.plus if you go to a hay operation youll need a round an square baler.ive got a friend that helps his FIL custom bale.an they run 3 balers 1 round baler an 2 square balers.alot of people he sales to wants square bales an tiny round bales weighing 700lbs.

Since I sold the cows I had one place leased that was entirly T 85. Cut every 4 weeks. Squares are bringing $7.00 from the horse people. 4x5 rounds $60.00. I sure miss my Brahmans but I have to be in the make money mode for the next few years. I made money on the Brahmans but there is more to be made on the hay.

85 grows fast and thick and it makes fine grazing but fat stems make it hard to cure for baling. As hard to cure as thick crabgrass and will need at least one additional day for curing. I planted some 85 and some Russell last spring and I like Russell better for haying.

Tifton 85's claim to fame is digestibility. It is a better grazing grass than haying, but it can be good for hay if cut at 21 to 24 days. It does require more fertilizer and requires more management.

Can't believe you are considering selling the cattle, but now is a good time to do it if you are going to do it.

BC":3drarxqx said:
Tifton 85's claim to fame is digestibility. It is a better grazing grass than haying, but it can be good for hay if cut at 21 to 24 days. It does require more fertilizer and requires more management.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Tifton 85 makes just as good hay as it does forage. I really cannot see how there could be a difference.
The crude protein and TDN per lb. of fertilizer makes it better for grazing or haying. The lbs of hay per lb of fertilizer is greater. The protein does not go into decline until after 4 weeks. I have found it to take less management as it grows so fast that it chokes out most everything else once established. Johnson grass is about the only thing a little hard to get rid of without a wick applicator. I have heard that Jiggs is easier to establish.
Some good links on this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62829&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
And another
http://cflag.ifas.ufl.edu/documents/200 ... vsT-85.pdf

The bad thing with it is some people find it difficult to establish and it takes a day longer to cure. What I have found with my experiments is given the same amount of fertilizer and time you will bale an extra roll per acre compared to the other bermudas I grow 44, coastal, alicia. With rain and fertilizer plan on growing 1.25 bales/week. I don't have any Russell but from what I've seen I think it would be a good choice too.

Latest posts