Tiffany ( Teff grass)?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you mean Tifton 85? If yes, I've had some experience but it was not all that good. I planted a test plot of the stuff and it went really good for a couple of years and then it all died out. I don't know what happened to it. As soon as I started seeing it go into decline I fertilized and watered it but no help.

I have Coastal, Bahia (yuck) and Gordo Bluestem. Last year I planted Haygrazer (hybrid Sudan) but have not planted anything like that this year - no moisture.

Earl Thigpen":3oqk2eln said:
Do you mean Tifton 85? If yes, I've had some experience but it was not all that good. I planted a test plot of the stuff and it went really good for a couple of years and then it all died out. I don't know what happened to it. As soon as I started seeing it go into decline I fertilized and watered it but no help.

I have Coastal, Bahia (yuck) and Gordo Bluestem. Last year I planted Haygrazer (hybrid Sudan) but have not planted anything like that this year - no moisture.

Not this time Earl,

http://www.targetseed.com/varieties/pdf ... _guide.pdf

By the way, I know tifton 85 can be hard to get started, but have not heard of it dying out. :?: Sounds like something that would happen for me. :nod:

Hayes' Farms":fspcd0p2 said:
Anyone planted any of this, If so whay are your thoughts on this product?
A friend in IN planted it last year. It made hiqh quality horse hay. It produced well, especially during the drought conditions. He made small squares, I don't know how well a round bale would hold together unless you net wrapped it. Our cows ate the hay that was made a bit too wet & molded; horse people don't want that.
Drawbacks -- you need a really fine seedbed and be careful with planting depth. Compare the seeding cost with something like Sudex if you're feeding cattle. We prefer Sudex for various reasons for our cattle. But if we sold hay, then Teff might be more marketable.

Chris H":zea6w69o said:
Hayes' Farms":zea6w69o said:
Anyone planted any of this, If so whay are your thoughts on this product?
A friend in IN planted it last year. It made hiqh quality horse hay. It produced well, especially during the drought conditions. He made small squares, I don't know how well a round bale would hold together unless you net wrapped it. Our cows ate the hay that was made a bit too wet & molded; horse people don't want that.
Drawbacks -- you need a really fine seedbed and be careful with planting depth. Compare the seeding cost with something like Sudex if you're feeding cattle. We prefer Sudex for various reasons for our cattle. But if we sold hay, then Teff might be more marketable.
Chris, do you have any luck baling the Sudex dry? I just planted some yesterday and am planning on planting several more acres to graze but I would like to get some baled if I can.

Hayray,

We plant a BMR sudex and drill it thick. Husband uses a mower/conditioner to cut it then uses a tedder the next day. It may be ready to bale the next day, maybe another day. It takes about 1 day more than a heavy grass/alfalfa cutting. It can still feel 'tough' but it'll go through a sweat and smell like molasses.

Latest posts