TIER 4 Tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

TANK30705

Reaction score
I have a JD 5100E with the DPF filter, no problems yet. Good tractor!
Just curious to see how others with the tier 4 stuff is doing?
Gonna be buying another 100hp tractor this year and trying to decide used or new?

Running a '12 model JD 5100M. Got 1100hrs. on it no problems so far. Really doesnt regen often. That being said pretty sure my next tractor won't have it on it. Definitely don't want one with DEF on it.

if a tractor has any issues before 5000 hrs its a piece of garbage.. I'm going to stick to looking for low hour old stuff.. Tier 0!

No problems out of any of my late model diesels with emissions (trucks or tractors). I was told by the dealer that most problems are caused by people by-passing the regen.

Neighbor is a diesel tech at a NH dealer, and his take is that the later stuff with DEF is better. He says the earlier stuff with DPF was tweaked and de-tuned to work with the filter, but the new stuff is optimized to work with the DEF and filter and the engines make more HP and don't "fight" the EPA stuff.

Nesikep":1dwfjgs2 said:
if a tractor has any issues before 5000 hrs its a piece of garbage.. I'm going to stick to looking for low hour old stuff.. Tier 0!
Sounds like my game plan.

You can buy a low hour 4020 for $13,000, have it fully restored for 20k, and have 10x the tractor of anything you can buy for $33,000 today. You just have to live without those creature comforts.

I'm into the Massey 255 for about $6500 CAD.. 3600 hours, runs like a top, with loader (yet to be installed).. whats not to like? In 20 years of use I'll put 2000 hours on it or so, so 5600 hours, it'll still be a low hour tractor that I can still get 100% of my money back on, if not more! Same with the 165 we have.. bought it for $5500 CAD 18 years ago with 1800 hours, it's also at 3600 hours now and works perfectly.. I'll give it a paint and decal job in the next year or two, and the same with that one.
My IH684 was broken in half, into that for about $3500 and while it's not original at all, I can put tons of cheap hours on it

Latest posts