Ticks

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
I am outside pretty much if it isn't dark. I expect to have some ticks. But wow never seen them this bad in my life. Pick them off crawling everyday. And several days a week latched on. Is it just here or you all seeing more than normal?

Shockingly, fewer than normal this year, even on the cattle. I urge you to please consider spraying with Deet 40. Getting a tick borne disease is miserable & can have lasting consequences. Got the t-shirt - I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

The number of diseases perpetuated by ticks around the world that are injurious to man & animals is mind boggling. Please take precautions as TCR noted...for your well being and any pets/livestock.

No ticks here, and haven't seen any in years. But about 15 years ago we camped out and slept on the ground under some trees in Oklahoma. Felt like it was a light rain, but it was little bitty ticks falling out of the trees. On the way home had to stop and pick ticks that were embedded in some bad spots.

When I was a kid it was a daily ritual. You where stood butt naked on the coffee table and examined thoroughly for ticks. As cb mentioned, since the fire ants showed up the deer don't even have ticks.

I grew up in central Ohio and it was normal to get a couple ticks every now and again when you were in the woods or a field. I lived in NE Ohio for 5 years or so and don't think I ever got one. Now I live in SE Ohio and wow are they bad here. We bought this farm a few years ago and the first winter we both got a tick on us in the WINTER time.

I haven't lived in this area long and have picked no less than several hundred off of me, had to get treated for lyme, and my dog got some tick born disease. This time of the year is when the 'seed ticks' are out and I try not to even go in the woods or fields unless I have to. They are like a speck of dirt and usually you don't get one, you get a lot.

Best thing I have found and this year has been much better for me is to treat clothes and boots with permethrin. Wear rubber boots With pants tucked in or treated gaiters, tucked in shirt as well. Spray 100 deet around any entry point. I hate doing it but I hate ticks more.

In 2017 when we were heading to help out after hurricane Harvey we stopped in northeast TX at a small Walmart. I told the crew that I was going in to get really good windshield washer and a squeegee. They said why and I told them they would know as soon as it quit raining. In a couple days they were hunting the same thing.