Ticks - Ticks and more Ticks

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":1dbamtun said:
My husband was treated for lyme about 20 years ago....he had a low grade fever for a long time, I don't think it was confirmed but that's what he was treated for .
Last year we gave our dogs some sort of pill that kept them from getting ticks and fleas.. I need to get them more now so they'll go all summer louse free again.
One of the new weekenders were freaking out because they brought their kids here for the weekend along with one of their friends. The friend got a tick. THey were all worried, called her parents to warn them and asked us what we did..... Told them, we spray off on our legs and if we get a tick we pull it off.. City people freak out over ticks.
that pill you give the dogs is some good stuff, I works good, I wish they made one like it for cattle and other stock, as far as that goes I wish they had one that humans could take. I take garlic pills and B complex and they both help a lot but I still get several ticks each year up to around 10 for this year

The ticks are bad out here in SW OK this year. They've been bad for a few years now. I haven't noticed any on the cows so far though. Mine got Ivermectin this spring, plus ear tags and I have a cattle oiler that we purchased last year. The cattle didn't really use it much that first year, but they are wearing it out now. I think its doing the trick.

kenny thomas":33w6l8ex said:
I gotta work in the Farmville, VA in a coiuple weeks and will spray every few hours. Have never sprayed here. I ask a couple cattle people today and nheithrr had ever seen a tick on a cow. But we don't have deer ticks either.
Up here, we have both kinds.They are bad this year.Son,grandson and I were working on baler on day and found 4 on us(them, not me) and my son had sprayed with a tick repellant spray on them before they came over.
Now,in Va,we have the Giant Hogweed in several places.Staunton,Isle of Wight and one other.Very bad stuff.Sap can cause burns to skin lasting ten days or more and ,if gotten in the eyes,could blind you.

My husband was treated for lyme about 20 years ago....he had a low grade fever for a long time, I don't think it was confirmed but that's what he was treated for .

Lyme disease is difficult to nail down 100% especially if there is a long time lag between first symptoms and diagnosis...and the diagnosis (test) is rather expensive. Any more, I do think some Drs misdiagnose a lot of things and just declare the ailment to be 'lyme disease' and treat accordingly..a 'disease of exclusion type thing.

I've had hundreds of tick bites in my younger days, and hundreds more on me back when this area was open range and I used to think about ticks the same way you do..till one of my extended family members got Lyme Disease from a single tick on her scalp and brushed off the symptoms for several months. At that stage, it's a long term, debilitating disease and will change how you think about ticks forever. I'm not sure she will ever fully get over it.

JW IN VA":3azqm5md said:
kenny thomas":3azqm5md said:
I gotta work in the Farmville, VA in a coiuple weeks and will spray every few hours. Have never sprayed here. I ask a couple cattle people today and nheithrr had ever seen a tick on a cow. But we don't have deer ticks either.
Up here, we have both kinds.They are bad this year.Son,grandson and I were working on baler on day and found 4 on us(them, not me) and my son had sprayed with a tick repellant spray on them before they came over.
Now,in Va,we have the Giant Hogweed in several places.Staunton,Isle of Wight and one other.Very bad stuff.Sap can cause burns to skin lasting ten days or more and ,if gotten in the eyes,could blind you.
I just read about that Giant Hogweed yesterday. Nasty stuff. Caustic sap. When plants attack........... the burn pics looked awful.

Very few ticks since the fire ants showed up. Plus no cattle grubs as we had at one time. Fire ants take care of them as soon as the tick or grubs fall to the ground.

hurleyjd":3a0mfo1h said:
Very few ticks since the fire ants showed up. Plus no cattle grubs as we had at one time. Fire ants take care of them as soon as the tick or grubs fall to the ground.
Heel flies are almost a thing of the past here since the widespread use of the ivermectin-type dewormers.

greybeard":ehn0766i said:
JW IN VA":ehn0766i said:
kenny thomas":ehn0766i said:
I just read about that Giant Hogweed yesterday. Nasty stuff. Caustic sap. When plants attack........... the burn pics looked awful.

Someone posted it on Facebook around here since it was found in Staunton,Va.About 30 miles from me.We didn't get the bad thistles they had for about twenty years,either.But,we did get them.
Google search didn't turn up much for control ideas.

kenny thomas":36plhi41 said:

Ticks are extremely bad down this way be careful alot of lime disease carrying ticks.

I worked calves last week and quite a few had ticks in their ears. All were small (males?) except for one about the size of a marble. This is new for this place. I have had a few over the years but many more this year for some reason. I sprayed every animal real good so maybe it will knock them back some.

Oh by the way, this place is also has more than its share of fire ants.

I am sooo fortunate. I moved onto this farm in 1978. I have never had a tick on my dogs or cattle. Not saying NY doesn't have ticks, just never a problem with our animals. We always treat the dogs. Now, I use Bravecto - a 3 month chewable tablet for the dogs.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1230zbwb said:
I am sooo fortunate. I moved onto this farm in 1978. I have never had a tick on my dogs or cattle. Not saying NY doesn't have ticks, just never a problem with our animals. We always treat the dogs. Now, I use Bravecto - a 3 month chewable tablet for the dogs.

While upstate may not have a big tick problem, Long Island has had issues with ticks for years! Lyme is very prevalent there.

Yes, Lyme disease is in NY. We do have ticks on deer & woodchucks & other animals. I'm just saying never on the dogs or cattle. But, my cattle do not have a lot of access to woodland. Although, I do a lot during deer season. I have always thought it was strange. Not complaining!!!!

Latest posts