ticks on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Ivomec has a pour on that is quick acting.... also an injection that will work on the parasites inside, also. If your feed store man can't direct you to what is appropriate for your area, then contact the Valley Vet Supply or Jeffers Vet Supply companies and they will send you a catalog, if they can't help you over the phone.

[email protected]

To be honest, I don't have many ticks in my area (I've seen maybe 10 on dogs in 16 years of practice, I've never seen one on a farm animal) but in Southern Ohio where there are ticks everywhere, they seem to use a back rubber which repels or kills the ticks. I don't know the name, perhaps someone else here does. To the best of my knowledge, ivomec doesn't touch ticks.

Does this mean that I will need to use a pour on (like Top Line) throughout the summer months, in addition to the Ivomec Plus that I am vaccinating with? I see ticks floating in the water tanks during the winter, so I am pretty sure the cattle are picking them up in the sagebrush.

[email protected]

I went to the Jeffers vet supply site and typed in "ticks" in my search. There was a pour on...but a lot of the treatment to protect against ticks recommended were ear tags. Along with the vaccines I use, I also use ear tags ( I forgot those, sorry)... My folks started using ear tags fifteen or twenty years ago, and my mom says they have saved and made money on the protection the tags have given their cattle...

[email protected]

URL which may help

<A HREF="http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/HTML/FSA-7027.asp" TARGET="_blank">http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/HTML/FSA-7027.asp</A>

We have always just toughed out the tick season because we hadn't found anything that really helped. So, this morning I went and visited several dairies to see what they do about ticks. Some of them have very ticky cows, several have no ticks on the cows. These are all grazing dairies so they should get well exposed to them. The dairies without ticks on the cows all swear by a sulfur salt block. I'll be giving it a try in the near future to see how it goes.

dunmovin farms

> our cattle have alot of ticks on
> them can you give us an idea of
> what kind of spray or shot to give
> them our vet is not helpful. thank
> -you

i have been told that the sulpher salt block also helps with footrot.. but i cannot confirm that..

gene

We have always just toughed out
> the tick season because we hadn't
> found anything that really helped.
> So, this morning I went and
> visited several dairies to see
> what they do about ticks. Some of
> them have very ticky cows, several
> have no ticks on the cows. These
> are all grazing dairies so they
> should get well exposed to them.
> The dairies without ticks on the