Ticks deforming ears

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
I have seen several calves with ears that have been bent or deformed slightly due to ticks. Does anyone else have a problem with this and is there anything to be done about it? Does it affect the selling price at the stockyard in any way?

:?: :?: :?:

I have not seen it that bad, but I would suggest some pour on wormer, to see if that works. I'm almost positive it will get the ticks off.

We dewormed our small herd by injection and my parents used the down the back method on their larger herd. They have ticks in their cows ears too along with their calves. We had not dewormed the calves yet. What age is appropriate to start deworming the calves? It is so hot and humid down here right now and the horseflies and ticks are rampant. Do you recommend a certain brand of Dewormer that works better than another. I don't know what brand they used offhand. Some of the calves and cows will have a ROW of ticks side by side about five or six in each ear. When we have them in the headgate for whatever reason we have them up, the kids will wear gloves and pick them out of their ears. Is there anything to spray on their ears to combat this also? Thanks for the reply. I see that you in Mississippi also, are you not having tick and horsefly problems where you are?

I use a back rub with alternating insecticides when I retreat the back rub. If problem persist try face bullets along with back rub.

Latest posts