Ticks and Grubs

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I have not had any ticks or grubs in the cows for long time. My theory is the Fire Ants have eradicated them. Any ones else in areas that no fire ants exist have problems with ticks and grubs.

Same here---very few ticks even on the dogs this year and no cattle grubs in a long long time--years, but I figured it was because of the county enacting a stock law and a thousand cows aren't roaming the woods any more.

hurleyjd":84ngd5xe said:
I have not had any ticks or grubs in the cows for long time. My theory is the Fire Ants have eradicated them. Any ones else in areas that no fire ants exist have problems with ticks and grubs.

Same here.......but the deer still have them. Guess there are still some in the wooded areas.

Trust me....the ticks are still around in drrrryyy Nacogdoches County. Everytime I go change the memory cards in the game cameras I manage to get back with some.

hdrockn":1lasw7rx said:
Trust me....the ticks are still around in drrrryyy Nacogdoches County. Everytime I go change the memory cards in the game cameras I manage to get back with some.

Nac is dry?? Everytime I talk to my sis in Cherokee Co. she says it's raining. Haven't been over there but surely it's green. That country use to have billions of seed ticks tho.

hurleyjd":8ghzf8vt said:

Fire ants moved in since then, no ticks, no quail, no turkeys, no meadow larks, no horny toads etc.
Use to you couldn't walk through the woods without being covered in seed ticks. I haven't seen a turkey in year's or a covey of quail.

Seed ticks disappeared from my area right after they voted in the stock law.
Yes, it's dry in Cherokee County and around Nack. I just drove thru it yesterday on way to NE Texas. Burn Ban signs all over the place.

Yup, it is dry here....been feeding hay for over a month already and I do have a fair amount of pasture. I paused the rotational grazing as there just wasn't enough to satisfy the cows....so they spend most of their time in the woods staying out of the hot sun. The hogs have torn up the south pasture after nut grass nutlets......the creekbottoms are dry so they came up to the pasture...and I don't see any acorns. Lots of trees dying too.

Latest posts