Tick Riders

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
A continuation of discussion in another post.

Some more info on "tick riders" along the Texas/ Mexico border. It's a big deal that probably doesn't get enough attention.

They also have cowboys that help work and check the cattle.

That's interesting. We had tick riders that used to ride our back boundary which is the border between Queensland and the state Of New South Wales. They rode the fence twice a day apparently from one gate road crossing to the next. They were discontinued about 30 years ago. Their job was to check the fences and make sure no cattle crossed the border from "ticky" Qld to tick free NSW. I think the rider that rode my section was a bit of an alcoholic judging by the number of old tall beer bottles I find thrown in the bush.

Ken

A continuation of discussion in another post.

Some more info on "tick riders" along the Texas/ Mexico border. It's a big deal that probably doesn't get enough attention.

They also have cowboys that help work and check the cattle.

It showed a calf going through a dip... but what happens to the animals? Do the tick riders get to keep them?

It showed a calf going through a dip... but what happens to the animals? Do the tick riders get to keep them?
Not sure if those were strays or on people's ranches. A friend of mine has their own vat on the the ranch. TAHC comes out to help work cattle and inspect them before any cattle move off the ranch.

I would assume strays get sold by the county.