Throwing yourself under the bus

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":eba5yn2e said:
Another reason i cannot wait to put as much distance between me and Corporate Amerika as possible. I actually was told by an executive that the word "problem" was banned and we were required to refer to them as opportunities. My smarta$$ answer of course was if that's the case who's gonna solve the problems.

Just one more reason I will never be named CEO
I worked with an A-hole that always said there were no problems, just opportunities to excel.

ibetyamissedme":2lc73k29 said:
I'm curious why do so many of you throw yourself under the bus? Why on Earth would anyone belittle the very product they produce?

If someone without any concept of beef, googled beef to learn more about the product they eat, and they came across this particular website, and searched for information about beef as a principal food item. They would leave with the impression based solely on comments by beef producers that beef unless bought directly from them, isn't worth buying and instead they would buy chicken. Why? because chicken producers don't throw themselves under the bus. They promote the product produced not discredit it as being awful just because their neighbor raised it.

Try working with a room full of Mensa members all day long. Ask them what their opinion of beef is? I got 'em in every cube around me. Big Bang Theory is not all that appealing. I live it day in and day out.

I have been to Wal-Mart 6 times already this year. That's pitiful. I did pause in the meat aisle for quite some time and watch people, last time I was in there. Obviously have not been paying the attention to this forum. :cowboy:

That's part of the marketing/sales mindset which is fine up to a point. Up until a tornado is coming and they wake up later scratching their a$$ wondering what happened.

dun":2e6udmwe said:
3waycross":2e6udmwe said:
Another reason i cannot wait to put as much distance between me and Corporate Amerika as possible. I actually was told by an executive that the word "problem" was banned and we were required to refer to them as opportunities. My smarta$$ answer of course was if that's the case who's gonna solve the problems.

I worked with an A-hole that always said there were no problems, just opportunities to excel.

I don't suppose it ever made you want to try to drive your fist through the back of his head. :shock:

3waycross":3kknai5t said:
dun":3kknai5t said:
3waycross":3kknai5t said:

I don't suppose it ever made you want to try to drive your fist through the back of his head. :shock:
Only the first couple of hundred times he said it, then I learned tolerance. Tolerance being defined as never getting anywhere near him again

greybeard":3m6f2tp4 said:
Commercialfarmer":3m6f2tp4 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3m6f2tp4 said:
What makes you think they are raising low quality beef? I would say that the Austrailians have invested more in quality genetic's in the last 20 years than we have by far.

My phone keeps timing out. Short version, I don't. They sell their quality products to markets that pay for it. We buy the lower end stuff for import.

It's a global market.

Most other nations, including our own, do the same thing--not there is any real shortage of good domestic beef available tho.
See--this is what gets me. If we're selling our best meat to foreign nations, and Australia, South America, NZ Canada, and Europe and everyone else is as well------that don't leave a heck of a lot of anyone else ----------sooooo-------who the heck are these mysterious "markets that pay for it"?
And don't say China, because I brought that possibility up at a beef symposium just yesterday and the Dr from TAMU said they don't buy enough in a year to fill 1 good size feedyard.

GB, I can't cut an paste from this pdf, but I think it explains a little as to how the import/export can occur. The USDA page below supports it.

http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/6 ... B9two2.pdf

I'm trying to learn a little more about the world trade market a little at a time. Most of it is so illogically regulated that I don't know how you would try to capitalize on it, unless you had insider knowledge and influence on the bureaucracies that exist.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/animal-p ... nGWWfmUQ6Y
The BSE situation dramatically altered U.S. beef export patterns in 2004. Japan and South Korea (and various other countries) ceased all imports of U.S. beef, while other countries initially closed borders, but reopened them within a matter of months. Beef exports to Mexico rebounded during the year, making it the leading destination for U.S. beef from 2004 to 2010. Smaller amounts of beef went to Canada, which itself had large supplies of beef following its own trade disruptions related to BSE. Exports to Japan resumed in the second half of 2006, but their growth has been relatively slow because of the restriction that U.S. beef to Japan can come only from animals 20 months of age or younger. Exports to South Korea resumed in 2007 are currently limited to beef from animals 30 months of age or younger.

In 2011, over one-third of total U.S. beef exports were to Canada and Mexico. Adding Japan and South Korea accounts for nearly two-thirds of U.S. beef exports, and growing shipments to other Asian countries, the Middle East, and Russia largely account for the remainder. Note: It is assumed that trade restrictions remain in place until policy changes are announced. For the latest details, see USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Animal and Animal Product Import and Export Information.

Commercialfarmer":13809j9j said:
GB, I can't cut an paste from this pdf, but I think it explains a little as to how the import/export can occur. The USDA page below supports it.

http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/6 ... B9two2.pdf

No offense, but that paper /\ and the data and graphs in it are from 1991. Thats 22 years ago.

I'm trying to learn a little more about the world trade market a little at a time. Most of it is so illogically regulated that I don't know how you would try to capitalize on it, unless you had insider knowledge and influence on the bureaucracies that exist.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/animal-p ... nGWWfmUQ6Y
The BSE situation dramatically altered U.S. beef export patterns in 2004. Japan and South Korea (and various other countries) ceased all imports of U.S. beef, while other countries initially closed borders, but reopened them within a matter of months. Beef exports to Mexico rebounded during the year, making it the leading destination for U.S. beef from 2004 to 2010. Smaller amounts of beef went to Canada, which itself had large supplies of beef following its own trade disruptions related to BSE. Exports to Japan resumed in the second half of 2006, but their growth has been relatively slow because of the restriction that U.S. beef to Japan can come only from animals 20 months of age or younger. Exports to South Korea resumed in 2007 are currently limited to beef from animals 30 months of age or younger.

In 2011, over one-third of total U.S. beef exports were to Canada and Mexico. Adding Japan and South Korea accounts for nearly two-thirds of U.S. beef exports, and growing shipments to other Asian countries, the Middle East, and Russia largely account for the remainder. Note: It is assumed that trade restrictions remain in place until policy changes are announced. For the latest details, see USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Animal and Animal Product Import and Export Information.

I was at a beef cattle symposium all day yesterday and one of the key speakers talked about the current and next 2 year beef market. One of the things he focused on was our beef cattle trade with Mexico. It was part of his section on COOL, but the gist was (for the most part) they send em over, we background, finish and send them back. They are counted as 'our' exports, but were imported first.

I know the top article was older, but the background information explained why they consider the high and low quality meat markets completely different.

As far as Mexican cattle, I don't know how all the numbers work out. You can't read a report with the basic knowledge of the English language. You have to understand how the terms have been bastardized to mean what they want. Seems like the Mexican cattle couldn't be slaughtered and placed in our system but could be brought in and fed. What I don't get, is if they can be shipped in to feed, and you can ship the meat back in after processing, what is the difference from just keeping them? I'm not a fan of the borders being so loose and all the back and forth of cattle. I think the potential threat is too great for spread of disease.