throwing up water

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Cattle got into the field with the apple tree yesterday. About a dozen of them were eating about a bushel or so of apples that had fallen to the ground. Figured there were enough cows and too few apples to worry about. Everyone was fine, but one 2 year old who was looking listless and throwing up fluids. No bloat and still pooping pretty solid. Checked on her today and she was up and around and eating, fending off flies - all things normal cows do so I figured she'd turned around. Checked on her again tonight and she can't seem to get any water down. She takes a few big gulps, holds it 5 or 10 seconds, then it all comes back up. Looks a little listless again, but still ornry enough to push all the other cows away from the water.

Any thoughts?

She also got her 8 way clostridial shot on Tues. Related?

sounds like she could have an apple lodged in her throat. they have choked on them before.

I concur with RedBull and Beefy. Sounds to me like she's got an apple stuck in there.

The fact that she is passing manure doesn't mean much (IF there is an apple stuck) because she would be passing any food intake prior to the apple getting stuck.

When you saw her grazing, was she actually swallowing the grass and was the grass staying down?

Mine have eaten plenty of apples without incident. However, I do know of 2 people who's cows ate apples and each person had a cow get an apple stuck.

Katherine

Fascinating. Had no idea such a little thing could plug such a big gullet. I can't say I actually saw her consuming the grass so you could be 100% right. Is a bovine wind pipe separated from the food pipe? Guess I'll be going fishing tomorrow. How does one retreive said apple - which way should I try to make it go?

You retreive it very carefully. I would get me a peice of pipe my arm would go threw short peice maybe four inches long to hold her mouth open, so i got all my arm back.

Even if the cow doesn't bite your arm off, she sure could break it. You might try using a large pill baller.

fourstates":2k517s8z said:
Even if the cow doesn't bite your arm off, she sure could break it. You might try using a large pill baller.

Frankly, I'd call my vet for his opinion on action. I'm not good at sticking my arm down a cows throat and not at all sure where the apple might be. The vet's probably seen it before. May be worth $50 for a vet visit before the cow gets seriously ill and/or you get a broken arm. Good luck.

SRBeef":3uzp6ioq said:
fourstates":3uzp6ioq said:

Frankly, I'd call my vet for his opinion on action. I'm not good at sticking my arm down a cows throat and not at all sure where the apple might be. The vet's probably seen it before. May be worth $50 for a vet visit before the cow gets seriously ill and/or you get a broken arm. Good luck.

Vet said to push it down rather than pulling it out using a stiff tube - like you were tubing a bloated cows. She said if it were close enough to reach with my arm she would be able to cough it back out herself. I'll be going at it with a good stiff hose later this afternoon.

Similar to a cow choking on a hedge apple. Or osage orange apple, whatever you want to call them. I have seen 550-600 lb calves choke and die on hedge apples before. Sometimes those hedge apples seem to be a delicasy (sp?) to the cattle. I wouldn't think a regular apple would get lodged in a cow's throat, but it sure sounds like that is what happened. Hope she comes out OK.

Well, the apple is out.

The vet said I would need 8 good feet of tube. I got all of 5 or 6 feet in and hit a blockage. Thought for sure it was her stomache so I pulled back and tried to get some water down her. No good. Back in with the tube. Got a back in to where I hit the blockage and kept applying pressure - suddenly I'm in another foot. Hose comes out, water goes in, cow's back in the pasture! :banana:

Thanks to all for your help. I had no idea. They're little bitty apples too - no more than 2 inches across. :tiphat:

Guess an apple a day won't keep the vet away. Glad you were able to do it yourself, saved a trip charge.

bandit80":1doujrzx said:
Guess an apple a day won't keep the vet away. Glad you were able to do it yourself, saved a trip charge.

Should have quartered those apples. :nod: :nod: All kidding aside...great job... :clap: :clap:

Latest posts