Throat swelled up

Help Support CattleToday:

turn&burn92

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

This morning I noticed a spot on my gelding's throat that is pretty swelled up. It's is about the size of two banannas and he acts as if it hurts for me to touch it. On the side of his shoulder he was kicked by another horse it looks like, but that was there long before this happened. I am worried because it is on his throat. I have never seen anything like this before. It looks like a swelled up muscle but I would like some other opinions on it. He is eating fine and seems to be breathing okay. So I am not sure. Any opinions?

Is he running a fever? nasal discharge? If so, the first thing that comes to mind is something like strangles. I'd suggest calling your vet and asking his/her opinion, or taking the horse in to be evaluated.

If he were mine, I would haul him into the vet, especially since it is painful. If it is an infection or abscess in a gland, it needs to be treated.

My internet guess is something related to a the kick or an infection effecting the glands..... What did the Vet say?

Alan

Well, the vet said it looked like a bite. A snake bite maybe, but not any venimous snakes or it would've killed him being where it is. He is doing better now. It has gone way down and it isn't sore anymore. The vet says full recovery. Just to watch him. The bite had fever for a few days, but thats gone too.

We had a mare get bit by (we're assuming) a copper head. They aren't deadly, but can cause major swelling and infection. She was bit on the back of her left front leg right up where it joins the body. Stayed swelled for a while, but later abcessed, and we had to lance it to drain. Keep an eye on it.

Well, the horse is fine! He made a full recovery. Still not positive bout what it was but it went away a while back. I haven't been on to write though. Thanks for the opinions. :D

Latest posts