Three Weaning Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
1 – What age do you wean?
2 – What is your average weight at weaning?
3 – What breed are you speaking to in questions 1 & 2?

HDRider":10tw70rt said:

1.we wean at 8 to 10 months old,an sometimes a tad younger.
2.our weights are from 500lbs to 800lbs.ever now an then we wean some under 500 an over 800.
3 reg beefmasters an beefmaster x her x hol.the dairy blood is slowly going out of the herd.

early weaning is up to the calf,some calves wean themselves.ive got a friend that weans his show calves off the cow at 5 or 6 months old.

We wean our Longhorn calves at ~205 days (6-2/3 months). Average WW are around 300 to 500 lbs. Once off the tit they begin to gain more and little faster with good grass and/or good hay. LH's mature slower...therefore, eat less to maturity...not your fast gaining feedlot cattle...LOL!

Running Arrow Bill":1ny3t5uh said:
We wean our Longhorn calves at ~205 days (6-2/3 months). Average WW are around 300 to 500 lbs. Once off the tit they begin to gain more and little faster with good grass and/or good hay. LH's mature slower...therefore, eat less to maturity...not your fast gaining feedlot cattle...LOL!

They are handsome animals!

usually around 6 months and with the signs of the almanac telling me it is time to wean. Brangus (mostly)

It depends on the cows and the forage. Ideal for me is five or six months but if the feed is going south then it's best to wean and take some pressure off the cows. If you run them to hard to get a big crop this year, you'll pay next year. :roll:

HDRider":l05hazte said:
I usually take my calves off the cow @ 5 to 6 months. If a heifer is retained may go 7 months.

Due to a really dry and hot summer I pulled my spring calves early. Heaviest steer off a cow @ 138 days was 510# scale weight. Lightest steer off a heifer 133 days was 440# scale weight. I like a 100# weight for each month in age.

Angus Bull on simmental cows.

I weaned some of my angus x (with charolais, or hereford) that are on older cows off at 4 1/2-5 months of age this year. I got premium prices for them. They weighed around 450 lbs. I fence line weaned them and the mommas did ALOT more bawling than the babies. With the dry year, it was a few more mouths not to be eating the pasture. The steers I kept are still on mommas, I probably won't wean them off till they are 8 months old.

I take my chances on sale barn calves sometimes if the pair is being split for the cow to be a weigh cow. I have gotten calves in the 200-300 lbs. range and although they may not be as growthy as their still nursing counterparts, they do pretty good with good feed. I don't see any reason you'd want to wean that early unless you are desperate to get the cow on the truck, but it does work out OK.

HDRider":w295n6xx said:
1 – What age do you wean? Calves born March-April are weaned in Oct. Calves born Sept and Oct are weaned April
2 – What is your average weight at weaning? Reg Black Angus and Angus X bulls range between 500-800lbs
3 – What breed are you speaking to in questions 1 & 2? Answered in #2 except x's which are some almost totally angus now and some are red angus in the background and others have brangus heaven know what else. Reg Angus usually outperform the x's.

TennesseeTuxedo":dg52c4v0 said:
Would it be uncommon for Angus to wean at 6 months?

not at all. i have an angus i'm fixin to wean as soon as he turns 6 mos. i figure i'll give momma a break as she has one in the oven.