Three point linkage smudges advice please.

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hello to my clever cattle today gang. I have a bit of a question. I have an S Tyne cultivates and I am playing around working ground on my 30 acre farm. I want to buy a smudges to level, harrow and firm the soil after the s Tyne to plant a few little crops to graze. I like to run one machine and not clutter up my yard. I can buy a 5 foot machine cheap but it will be narrower than my tractor tyres. What should I do?

M-5":341h1hzh said:
Bright Raven":341h1hzh said:
M-5":341h1hzh said:
What is a smudges?

I don't know but was guessing it is for leveling worked ground.
:hide:

Ya think??

There are alot of different kinds of tillage equipment . He is also a furiner and I'm sure its a regional term so It has to have another name

Yeah. It looks like a box scraper without side boards. It is kinda like Ken calls a squeeze chute a "crush".

OzssieDave19":318mlik3 said:
Hello to my clever cattle today gang. I have a bit of a question. I have an S Tyne cultivates and I am playing around working ground on my 30 acre farm. I want to buy a smudges to level, harrow and firm the soil after the s Tyne to plant a few little crops to graze. I like to run one machine and not clutter up my yard. I can buy a 5 foot machine cheap but it will be narrower than my tractor tyres. What should I do?

What size tractor? Can you set the wheels in closer on the tractor, so it will level out the tracks and create less smudges.

I'm sure it will get the job done but I woukd be inclined to find a wider one even if I built it or had one built.

The wider it is the better job it should do smoothing and leveling. Plus that cuts back on tire tracks. You should be able to handle a 10' easy and drive 1/2 as much.

It gets better than that. It's a " smudger " stupid auto correct got me. As in you smudge the humps into the hollows.

Well I didn't know what a smudger was either but from the photo did guess it was like a levelling bar for a skid steer.

No I would find it a pain in the ar$e if it did not cover the wheel tracks. An old gate dragged behind will do a similar job or old tires bolted together would be better as they would follow any hollows and unevenness in the ground.

Ken

wbvs58":19qij2z5 said:
Well I didn't know what a smudger was either but from the photo did guess it was like a levelling bar for a skid steer.

No I would find it a pain in the ar$e if it did not cover the wheel tracks. An old gate dragged behind will do a similar job or old tires bolted together would be better as they would follow any hollows and unevenness in the ground.

Ken

something like this might work

Latest posts