Three old cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I've got three older cows that are going to the sale soon. I was out on the tractor checking fences Saturday morning about daylight, It's really peaceful and beautiful that time of day. I noticed that the three old cows and two young bulls were gone, not in my pasture. I continued to check the fences around their pasture and found a breach in the field fence where they had just pushed it down. I had already rebuilt half of that section of fence. It is an old fence covered with brush and trees so it has to be trimmed back to access the fence. I crawled through the breach, surprise all the cows were standing there. The neighbor has Johnson grass about four feet tall and very thick. My cows had ate a circle in his grass and appeared to be on their way home. I called them and they came home to their pasture. I spent the day cutting back brush and trees but did'nt finish the job. It was hot, humid and I felt sick so I went home to cool off. Sunday morning all the cows were gone again, I went to the breach and called and they came back through the breach. Monday morning the same thing. I'm installing five strands of new barb wire over the exhisting field fence. Now that I've told this long story, my thoughts were. Are cows smart. It's like they waited till dark to go eat the neighbors grass.
~Tom

kerley":20vm2nph said:
I've got three older cows that are going to the sale soon. I was out on the tractor checking fences Saturday morning about daylight, It's really peaceful and beautiful that time of day. I noticed that the three old cows and two young bulls were gone, not in my pasture. I continued to check the fences around their pasture and found a breach in the field fence where they had just pushed it down. I had already rebuilt half of that section of fence. It is an old fence covered with brush and trees so it has to be trimmed back to access the fence. I crawled through the breach, surprise all the cows were standing there. The neighbor has Johnson grass about four feet tall and very thick. My cows had ate a circle in his grass and appeared to be on their way home. I called them and they came home to their pasture. I spent the day cutting back brush and trees but did'nt finish the job. It was hot, humid and I felt sick so I went home to cool off. Sunday morning all the cows were gone again, I went to the breach and called and they came back through the breach. Monday morning the same thing. I'm installing five strands of new barb wire over the exhisting field fence. Now that I've told this long story, my thoughts were. Are cows smart. It's like they waited till dark to go eat the neighbors grass.~Tom
no its just cooler,, cows are dumb as he#@.. sometimes i think the only thing dumber is the folks who raise em :p

If the fence is not 100% they will go through it every time.

An electric fence stops them in their tracks once they are trained to it. To start with some will get the shock and push forward. So have a fence that they can not get through when they are first introduced. They learn to come back instead of forward and to not go anywhere near any fence.

But they are also smart enough to know when the fence is not on.

just be glad you could get them back without any headaches.most times a full cow is a pain to get to come home.

An elderly friend of mine liquidated his herd a while back and one old girl decided she wasn't up for a change. He's tried to get her several times but when she sees the trailer or a bag of feed in the pen she strikes for the woods. He finally gave up and she's be by herself now for about 2 years and loving every minute of it.

alacattleman":2evt8wqz said:
kerley":2evt8wqz said:
I've got three older cows that are going to the sale soon. I was out on the tractor checking fences Saturday morning about daylight, It's really peaceful and beautiful that time of day. I noticed that the three old cows and two young bulls were gone, not in my pasture. I continued to check the fences around their pasture and found a breach in the field fence where they had just pushed it down. I had already rebuilt half of that section of fence. It is an old fence covered with brush and trees so it has to be trimmed back to access the fence. I crawled through the breach, surprise all the cows were standing there. The neighbor has Johnson grass about four feet tall and very thick. My cows had ate a circle in his grass and appeared to be on their way home. I called them and they came home to their pasture. I spent the day cutting back brush and trees but did'nt finish the job. It was hot, humid and I felt sick so I went home to cool off. Sunday morning all the cows were gone again, I went to the breach and called and they came back through the breach. Monday morning the same thing. I'm installing five strands of new barb wire over the exhisting field fence. Now that I've told this long story, my thoughts were. Are cows smart. It's like they waited till dark to go eat the neighbors grass.~Tom
no its just cooler,, cows are dumb as he#@.. sometimes i think the only thing dumber is the folks who raise em :p

Amen to that 105 in a hayfield and they are laying in the shade.

I lost a cow one time that got out.

I looked for her for three days before I found her. I mean three solid days of walking and looking.

She had fallen into a hole that was the perfect size to be a cow trap.

I had a devil of a time getting a front end loader to her to lift her out. Had to cut a road through the neighbors woods to get to her.

she came out hungry and thirsty and ready to fight.

Gathered calves to wean one time and had one extra. called all the neighbors. no one claimed her. posted notices at the local establishments. Raised her.... Bred her. named her Freeda and she was still having babies annaully when I left that farm.