Thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Looking for a new herd bull to replace our Churchill bull.
Talked to one breeder south of us. Has 2 bull calves. One was really nice, but has a bloodline I won't touch.
Here is the second bull calf.

P1000796.jpg

P1000793.jpg

P1000795.jpg

BW is 82# and WW 725# adj 205 was 714#
He's out of a first calf heifer. Sire is Bismarck 243r

Will he add to your herd, meaning will he improve your cows calves ?

Do you have a pic of him at 2 months of age ? :p

His sire is a high performance bull with a lot of ribeye. This calf has the look that would seem to confirm that. How is his dam bred?

Personally, I like the looks of him better than I did your Churchill bull - but that Churchill bull was outbreeding himself on your cows. Too bad he got an attitude!

George

Breeder says he is out of a Mark Donald cow. Didn't say which one.

HD don't know if he has a picture at 2 months or not. I will ask though.
Would like to get more rib eye into our herd, better muscling.

Just got the report from this years 4-H steer. Not too happy with it. Really hoping to get better.

wt. 1335
HCTW 825
KPH 2.00
REA 8.10
Mat A
Drk N
Marb 540
Back fat 0.50
Grade Ch
DP 61.8
YG 4.69
% Cut 45.85
REA/CWT 0.98

Herefords.US":32nb62mf said:
His sire is a high performance bull with a lot of ribeye. This calf has the look that would seem to confirm that. How is his dam bred?

Personally, I like the looks of him better than I did your Churchill bull - but that Churchill bull was outbreeding himself on your cows. Too bad he got an attitude!

George
Be careful, you could lose your marbling while seeking RE. As you probably know, they are antagonistic.
Valerie

What was the other bull calf's pedigree and what don't you like about it? Feel free to PM - just curious.

Couple things to consider. I might be wrong but I would not go chasing numbers because 1 steers # at a fair. I would just go buy a club calf if that is what you want. I am not trying to be rude so please dont take it that way. I think you need to look at the complete package.I know you want to compliment your herd with this purchase.

I think he looks ok but I would like to ( as Knersie says have more muscle) in the rear end and it carry it down farther. He may very well look better than the pic shows? I havent done any research on the sire so I cant say anything about him. Why not go to H76 and get a bull? or is that where this guy is?

There are some more intelligent people on here than me when it comes to picking out a bull but I think I would pass unless you are just totally in love with him.I like the Mark Donald breeding

Cris he is just a touch too narrow based and too roofy when seen from behind. I'd like to see a squarer picture when looking at the hind end of an animal, but you still need to see that upside down horseshoe and not a funnel shape. I don't think he has the width of frame to be really adding muscle. You seem to get on well with Ace, why not walk a road with him and get your next few bulls from him, let him come and have a look at the cows you need a bull for and let him make suggestions for you.

I was waiting to hear what everybody had to say. I was having some doubts about him.
I wanted those of you who can hit me with a 2x4 ;-) to have a look and say what you think.

JHH that steer was bought from us. We aren't trying to become club calvers, just want to improve our herd enough to get a steer for 4-H to at least finish in the top 5 on the carcass.
Been waiting to hear from H76, but I think he has been pretty busy lately. no this isn't one of his.

Internet was down most of the morning so I just got back on.

KNERSIE":27i5bu9y said:
Cris he is just a touch too narrow based and too roofy when seen from behind. I'd like to see a squarer picture when looking at the hind end of an animal, but you still need to see that upside down horseshoe and not a funnel shape. I don't think he has the width of frame to be really adding muscle. You seem to get on well with Ace, why not walk a road with him and get your next few bulls from him, let him come and have a look at the cows you need a bull for and let him make suggestions for you.

I agree heartily with Knersie even to and especially the Ace part. I have done several things with him this spring and he is tops in my book. We are continuing to work on a couple small projects.

100_0167.JPG

First I have no commercial interest in this bull. He just shows from the front what I believe that Knersie is talking about leg placement. I call it "posts on all four corners.

He just shows from the front what I believe that Knersie is talking about leg placement. I call it "posts on all four corners.

Exactly, just different lingo for different parts of the world. I just want to add that he needs to carry that width from end to end and from top to bottom.

Hey ILH I found you a bull :lol:

924.jpg

Hope Ace doesnt mind me copying his pic to this thread.

While you are there picking up that bull just load that heifer up and bring her on down to me.