thoughts on this RA heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

RedAngus121

Reaction score
heres a heifer we bought this winter shes Registerd red angus. What do you all think give your honest opinion.
Sire: Glacier chateau 744

Dams sire: Vgw Rambler 1000

RedAngusCattle105.jpg

RedAngus121":whlrwii3 said:
heres a heifer we bought this winter shes Registerd red angus. What do you all think give your honest opinion.
Sire: Glacier chateau 744

Dams sire: Vgw Rambler 1000
Hard to give an opinion when I can't see the animal in the pic. Please post a more clear pic.

She's looks pretty good! Certainly cowy enough.

I see the same problem no matter what breed it is but these danged tail heads keep getting higher and higher. I can only think that one day everyone is going to freak out and stop accepting it.

Just ask the dairy guys!

She does look thick, long and deep enough with a decent topline and good legs under her. I do tend to agree with SEC, that the tail head is sure getting to high for my taste on a lot of these cattle.

Overall she is a pretty decent female.

RedAngus121":irmtlw11 said:
RedangusPics2006005.jpg

heres a Clear picture shes out on pasture in the last one shes in the lot.
RedAngus121- From what I can see of this heifer she is, possibly, a reasonably good herd cow prospect. And that is ALL that I can say with conviction.

The purposes of judging or analysing beef cattle, whether it be bulls or cows, of any age, is for the examination of ALL of their parts to determination their nature, proportion, function, phenotypic (how they LOOK) characteristics, genotypic (how they will breed or REPRODUCE themselves) traits - in short - what that particular beef individual really IS in it's entirety.

To Judge any animal on the bases of the above paragraph requires astute and discriminating observation of that animal - including it's Genetic (EPD's) signature. In giving an "opinion" of an animal, as we do in these posts, EPD's are seldom available, so we are limited to the Phenotypic observation only. To provide a definitive opinion of an animal based on a picture only is an exercise in futility, and becomes less valuable if the image is not optimal.

This subject has been discussed and kicked around and alluded to many times on these posts, however it seems to continue to be a source of mis-information of the subject matter, and we repetitively see 'snapshots' of beef subjects - poorly posed or in difficult-to-perceive circumstances, ( half pictures, legs not in evidence, standing in low spots, front ends lower than hindquarters, etc.) and usually ONE VIEW ONLY!

To alleviate these difficult efforts to objectively, and with at least a modicum of accuracy, present a reasonable description of the strengths and weaknesses of an individual animal, I suggest the following criteria be followed whenever one wishes the members of the Forum to expound on the virtues or discrepancies of a particular individual animal:
1. A 'straight on' side view showing the ENTIRE animal from the hooves to the topline.
2. A 'straight on' rear view showing the hindquarters from the hooves to the top of the tail head.
3. If possible a TOP view showing the ENTIRE animal from tip of nose to end of hindquarters.
4. A listing of EPD's (if available).
5. NOT an animal in "SHOW PREPARATION" condition combed and groomed to magnify or camouflage characteristics which may or may not be present!

In this manner, a more reliable observation may be made in order to establish how the animal meets, or fails to meet the requirements that have been established as ideal. This method, then, will be more valuable to the inquirer than just a short statement - such as "Looks good" or "I like her". Those comments don't help a breeder who is sincerely seeking information to ingrain the perfect image of the ideal individual animal in their mind. If we can have more desirable pictures of the individual at hand, - that will afford us an opportunity of being able to be more accurate in our judgements of just exactly what the animal presents to us.

This is just an idea for your perusal.

DOC HARRIS

ive got EPD's on her she has pretty good numbers. this is a heifer of my dads. I really dont like her top line. but she is very long and pretty deap.

ww 33 / YW 63 / MILK 25/ TM 41/ Stay 14 / Marb .07 / Fat 02.

here actuals are

BW 85/ WW 739

I like the looks of her. I would put her in my cowherd.
I will always think EPD's are very important.

mnmt

She's a very nice heifer with allot of body and muscling. But at first I thought she was a bull with that head and neck. She is lacking in the feminity department, which is a downfall for a cow, but she could go out and produce the best calf in the fall. I just like my cows to look more like cows and be a little more feminine than she shows.

I think she is feminine enough, this heifer will grow into her front end a bit and will likely be a bit of a power cow. Though with Rambler 1000 I would be suprised on how much power she might have.

SEC":3hsjkk7q said:
She's looks pretty good! Certainly cowy enough.

I see the same problem no matter what breed it is but these danged tail heads keep getting higher and higher. I can only think that one day everyone is going to freak out and stop accepting it.

Just ask the dairy guys!

I could'nt agree more, alot of breeds are getting real high tails i bought some reg limo heifers recently from a stud, that is using genetics from the US red and black, the tails where all over the back pin of the cattle real squirely looking, i commented on the tails of his stock.he did say they may be a little high, they did have some magnificent cattle though, ;-)

Latest posts