Thoughts on this infection?

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
While spending some time with the girls tonight I noticed one that appeared to have a mesquite thorn stuck in her cheek that had become infected. Upon further investigation I couldn't find a thorn or any other signs that would explain the cause of infection. She has a lump about the size of a silver dollar that I was able to squeeze quite a bit of white, pasty puss out of. Thought I would post up here and see if maybe I could get some ideas before calling the Vet. Monday.

can't see where on the cheek/jaw
what the worm looking thing hanging out ?

lumpy jaw abcess maybe?
ruptured and flies have been at it ?

SSS Angus":1wjl4eg2 said:
While spending some time with the girls tonight I noticed one that appeared to have a mesquite thorn stuck in her cheek that had become infected. Upon further investigation I couldn't find a thorn or any other signs that would explain the cause of infection. She has a lump about the size of a silver dollar that I was able to squeeze quite a bit of white, pasty puss out of. Thought I would post up here and see if maybe I could get some ideas before calling the Vet. Monday.

She has developed an abcess as a result of a foreign body being introduced. Lance it, clean out the puss, flush it with either a 50% peroxide/50% water or an iodine solution that looks like weak tea, and give her systemic antibiotics - how long is going to depend on the antibiotic you choose. I'm not sure I would go with penicillin, though. You might want to talk to your vet about which antibiotic would be the most effective in this particular scenario.

Latest posts