Thoughts on this heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is she one you've raised, or one you're looking to purchase? What's the plan for her? How old is she?

She is definitely that! Lol

Is your sire white as well? If so, that's should give u the desired results...
I'll AI her to a calving ease bull this year, clean-up by a Hereford. Next year she will get AI'ed to a white son of Mandalong Super Elephant.

What in h is a Mandalong Super Elephant? Sounds like the name a Philippine water buffalo.
OK I will be serious for a moment. When I saw the photo and read what came with it I had
her pegged as a White Park. I have nothing either for or against White Park or Charlois.
Are color genes for Shorthorn recessive or dominant is one question that you may wish to know.
My guess IF color genes are recessive for Shorthorn (and I don't know} you will have a plus 1 in 4 chance
of a pure white. Apparently MSE's sire was not pure white and I don't know about the bottom side.
You may keep her for 10 calves and never get a white one. My guess is they will all be good stock
good luck......LVR

What in h is a Mandalong Super Elephant? Sounds like the name a Philippine water buffalo.
OK I will be serious for a moment. When I saw the photo and read what came with it I had
her pegged as a White Park. I have nothing either for or against White Park or Charlois.
Are color genes for Shorthorn recessive or dominant is one question that you may wish to know.
My guess IF color genes are recessive for Shorthorn (and I don't know} you will have a plus 1 in 4 chance
of a pure white. Apparently MSE's sire was not pure white and I don't know about the bottom side.
You may keep her for 10 calves and never get a white one. My guess is they will all be good stock
good luck......LVR
The bull I'll AI her to next year is a white son of Super Elephant. In theory their offspring will be white. This year I'll probably AI her to a red calving ease shorthorn. That should result in a roan calf.

Those hind legs don't look right to me in the picture, but for some reason cattle often look post legged in pictures. From the pic provided I would be concerned, but I'm guessing you would have spotted that in person if that were the case.

Those hind legs don't look right to me in the picture, but for some reason cattle often look post legged in pictures. From the pic provided I would be concerned, but I'm guessing you would have spotted that in person if that were the case.
We talking about the bull or the heifer?

good luck......LVR

She is a pretty white Shorthorn. Reminds me of Murray Grey cattle when they are young, but MG get a little brownish color when they grow up. Mandalong Super Elephant ASA# x3610693 appears to be an easy calving bull, and his son might be too. You could run a DNA test on him.

I agree with LVR in regard to color. I don't know for sure, but I think the color and patterns are somewhat unpredictable. I am sure you'll love the calf no matter what color it is. Please come back and update this thread when you have a calf.

The heifer is nice enough. Feminine, adequate bone, looks deep enough. Biggest flaw is see is those rear legs, as Gizmom pointed out. Remember that when you see a hock angle that is to straight (or too much angle for that matter), it is in direct relation to the rest of the angles in the rear third. Usually an animal that is too strait in the hocks will also have too much slope from hooks to pins, often a roached topline, and hooves set too far up on the toes.

I do agree that the bull pictured is much more correct in structure. My biggest nit pick on him is he appears a bit tight/constricted in his heart girth. These animals typically lack capacity through their center, and give up some easy doing/feeding nature and longevity.

Latest posts