Thoughts on this cow (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
What are some of your thoughts on this crossbred cow.

DSCF0033.jpg

The black calf is hers. I think this is an 05 pic of her. she would be 4 in this pic ( if I have my date on pic right)

she seems to be doing a good job on her calf, that is why she seems a little thin. what does she look like now?

Just an opinion and it may just be the picture but I don't like the cow or her calf. Just not much there to work with. Would love to see the rest of that other more mature baldy tho.

Nice tidy udder and small teats; couldn't ask for much better. The cow looks a little thin, but the calf looks big and fat (BWF) and the forage quality looks like it is on the poorer side. Her feet look pretty decent from what I can see as well. Wouldn't mind to see the cow a little deeper, but that ususally comes with condition. My cullable traits start with being bred, feet, udder, temperament then performance ( as long as shes not raising total toads), then type. If she is bred I don't think I'd have any reason to get rid of her looks pretty sound.

sooknortex":137p2nsq said:
I thought he said the black baldy to the left was her calf.
he did... id like too see more of that calf..... cause i really dont like the way the cow is made......... but

sooknortex":2owt7qjo said:
I thought he said the black baldy to the left was her calf.

oh...the black baldie on left is hers...looks like the best of the 3. Must have used a really good bull anyway. The little cow is "solid" but not good. Where's the mother of that red one ?

I knew that most would not like her BUT she does a great job in raising her calf and breeds back every year. That spells keeper to me.

Here is some pics of that calf.

herefordsteers001.jpg

And him at one year old ( steer)

Pic027.jpg

Almost forgot she weighed 907 lbs at weaning time calf weighed 598 at 6 months old. She is small framed but she stays. She has never given me a heifer yet. I am waiting and hoping for this year.

The pic is kind of at a bad angle to really judge her completely. She definitely isn't the best cow, but it looks like she is putting a lot into her calf and has a nice udder. Looks a little narrow and shallow in the back but that could also be the angle of the pic. Steer looks like good eatin :D

she doesnt look bad to me at all.as soon as i seen her i knew why she looked rough.an thats because she puts everything she has into her calf.so that makes her a good calf raiser.

some of the best cows are not front pasture cows. i have a half holstien/half maine cow weighs maybe 1000 good udder (like a maine) no butt boney lookin thing, breeds back 1st or 2nd everytime of the whole spring group. her calves always look simmi crossed out of hereford or braford bulls. she finally had a heifer this year. cull list is: good calf, bred back, udder , etc..... looks down the list. that is a good calf have any recent pics of the cow

jcarkie":2mam1at9 said:
some of the best cows are not front pasture cows.

Are these the best cows for the producer or the packer? Jay, I agree she's not so hot phenotypically, but her calf is definitely not a "dud". That must mean the bull she's being bred to is a good one?

CPL":1ahdl4nc said:
jcarkie":1ahdl4nc said:
some of the best cows are not front pasture cows.

Are these the best cows for the producer or the packer? Jay, I agree she's not so hot phenotypically, but her calf is definitely not a "dud". That must mean the bull she's being bred to is a good one?

This is the only recent pic I have of her

COWSANDCALVES08117.jpg

And her calf 08
COWSANDCALVES08107.jpg

And the sire of the calves

herefordbullpic005.jpg

once again she is proving her worth by raising 1 heck of a bull calf.you have 1 heck of a herd bull there as well.

If she makes money then I'd certainly keep her. After seeing the calf he's built just like his dam. But he'll eat or sale ok.

I agree. That is a fine bull calf she raised. She would be a keeper on my place, especially if she is trouble free, and raises calves like that.

I'll be the contrarian again...

She is proving to be a usefull commercial cow for producing terminal calves. I wouldn't consider her for producing replacements and I think her future calves will benefit from more bull power.

She's not much to look at. The bottom line for her. She raises a good marketable calf every year, keep her until she starts going down hill.

Latest posts