Thoughts on this bull.....

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":1l69npqc said:
ShuterSunset":1l69npqc said:
By the way, what does PAP mean? I imagine that it is something pretty obvious but I can't seem to put it together........

Pulmanary/ Arterial/ Pressure. At our altitude 7000' you can get away with the minimun which is 45/46 anything over that and you have a problem with BRISKET disease. People run cattle in Colorado at elevations as high as 10,000 feet. At that altitude you need to be in the under 35 range or you will get some awful sick cattle. There is a Vet in Gunnison Co, who is supposedly the leading expert on testing for it. Word is he has done over 100,000cattle already.

There is a Red Poll breeder in Steamboat Springs which I believe is close to 7000' and he doesn't have any problems.

They will breed way more than 15 head. We do it all the time. But you are right, an older bull will cover more his first year.

Jovid":39ctu7jc said:
3waycross":39ctu7jc said:
ShuterSunset":39ctu7jc said:
By the way, what does PAP mean? I imagine that it is something pretty obvious but I can't seem to put it together........

Pulmanary/ Arterial/ Pressure. At our altitude 7000' you can get away with the minimun which is 45/46 anything over that and you have a problem with BRISKET disease. People run cattle in Colorado at elevations as high as 10,000 feet. At that altitude you need to be in the under 35 range or you will get some awful sick cattle. There is a Vet in Gunnison Co, who is supposedly the leading expert on testing for it. Word is he has done over 100,000cattle already.

There is a Red Poll breeder in Steamboat Springs which I believe is close to 7000' and he doesn't have any problems.

I'm pretty sure it's in all cattle but Angus seem to be more suseptable than other breeds. I like what I've seen of the red polls(on here), but it's starting to sound like they all have a big "S" on their chest. Just kidding Jovid. Does the guy in steamboat PAP his cattle, unless he does all other evidence is anecdotal.

Pulmanary/ Arterial/ Pressure. At our altitude 7000' you can get away with the minimun which is 45/46 anything over that and you have a problem with BRISKET disease. People run cattle in Colorado at elevations as high as 10,000 feet. At that altitude you need to be in the under 35 range or you will get some awful sick cattle. There is a Vet in Gunnison Co, who is supposedly the leading expert on testing for it. Word is he has done over 100,000cattle already.[/quote]

There is a Red Poll breeder in Steamboat Springs which I believe is close to 7000' and he doesn't have any problems.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's in all cattle but Angus seem to be more suseptable than other breeds. I like what I've seen of the red polls(on here), but it's starting to sound like they all have a big "S" on their chest. Just kidding Jovid. Does the guy in steamboat PAP his cattle, unless he does all other evidence is anecdotal.[/quote]

I don't know but I will call and ask him.

Nice bull, Clean fronted and lots of muscle. As far as not enough bone... It has to be repeated, "as compared to what?" He seems to be a very good representative of the breed.

As compared to cattle that carry a lot of muscle, that's what. Maybe Red Polls do too, I don't know. Never seen a Red Poll in my life. What do they do, float around in snow banks their whole lives and get fed by helicopter? Next time somebody posts on Red Polls, please advise so I can stay the hec out of it.

ga. prime":18ddnx2m said:
What do they do, float around in snow banks their whole lives and get fed by helicopter?

Come see me. I don't have a helicopter nor do we get snow banks often.