thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

manaftergodsheart413":dgiua5dc said:
I think that bull is pitiful. He could pass for a heifer with a lot of navel. He should have been cut and sent to the sale barn. Anything with more than a 3 sheath, which he has, should not be used as a herd bull...period...and certainly should not be collected and have semen advertised for sale. I am entirely in agreement with CowpokeJ and many other commercial cattleman...the cattle business should not be a rich people's game which I feel a lot of BBU people have made it. We're in the business to produce functional cattle that work for the commercial cattleman. I also feel cattle should be selected for function and not form. Pedigree will never determine how cattle will adjust to anyone's environment or raise a calf. Too many breeders have strayed away from the six essentials and priced themselves out of the market. Those are my feelings. Anyone who wants to make it in the cattle business raising beefmasters needs to stick to the Lasater philosphy and buy only from herds who adhere to the six essentials. I strongly urge everyone to go on the Lasater website and download the 2007 sale catalog and look at the semen bull....then go to some past threads and look at some of the foundation bulls East Caney has posted. Look at the muscle they carry, how clean they are, their moderate frames, etc. I'm pretty sure they're better than Black Granite.
:clap: :clap: Very well said manaftersgodheart. I agree that people that want to raise beefmasters need to read and follow Mr.Lasater's philosphy. I think the beefmasters has turned into a money pit like other breeds. There are still good breeders out there. I have met several of them.
I remember the very first beefmaster bull I ever saw. That was along time ago in the 70's . They are a far cry from what they have now days. They didn't have black hided beefmasters back then either,but with the wonderful world of angus. They do now. I don't like black beefmasters. As I have said before ,if I wanted black I would have bought Angus.
We are not rich by no means. We sold out our limo's to buy beefmasters. I'm glad we did ,because they are alot easier to handle than the limo's. I also know everyone of our beefmaster are not perfect. That's fine,there is still a place for them here as commercial cattle.
I have a hard time explaining to the husband,just because they are registered ,does not mean they have a trophy calf every time. Heck fire most of them from last year already went thru the sale barn. I kepted 6 heifers back,but that does mean they will all get to stay.
Bigbull ,I did pm you the other day,but the boards were being changed over. So I don't know if you got it are not.

hey that bull aint as bad as i was expecting... could have cleaned that sheath up while turning him black though....notice how they trim the hair rear close on the prepuce close. to give the illusion he's cleaner than he actually is? or its been photoshopped

ALACOWMAN":2xezkug0 said:
hey that bull aint as bad as i was expecting... could have cleaned that sheath up while turning him black though....notice how they trim the hair rear close on the prepuce close. to give the illusion he's cleaner than he actually is? or its been photoshopped

That's the most amazing part of it all....people breed up with Angus cattle to hop on the "black" bandwagon...but the black "Beefmaster" bulls have worse sheaths than those that have been pressure selected for years. People are bringing nothing but a black hide to the table...no added performance, no added anything except a black hide. Then someone gets a counterfeit Beefmaster and remembers that bad experience and relates it to the breed. There are foundation black Beefmasters, but they are few.

And another thing, people seem to misunderstand the term "foundation Beefmaster". Foundation Beefmasters are those whose bloodlines go back to the Lasater foundation herd. Some well known breeders of foundation genetics are Larry Buster, Jerry Orr, Salt Creek, Frenzel, Mindemann, Blau, Morgan, Hargis, and of course Dale and Laurence Lasater. Buy cattle that have been selected under heavy pressure since the beginning. They are forced to perform or they move out o the original Beefmaster foundation herd. The above reference breeders (and many more) use those cattle that have been culled and pressured to have all 6 essentials for 50+ years.

An idiot can make money on cattle when feed prices are low and cattle prices are high. You better have some cattle that will keep you above water when feed and input prices get high too. In the words of my buddy Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say...about that." (for now, anyway)

EC

you are right about one bad experiance causing hard feeling toward a breed. bought a black beefmaster a few years ago just as some were starting to go black... but my problem was with dummies worse calv'in nightmare ive ever had.

personally I would like to see a little more thickness in the rear and a cleaner sheth.