thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":ge3brlqg said:
i would like to hears yalls thoughts on this reg beefmaster bull.his name is black granite.you can see his info an pic here http://www.ultimate genetics.com look under beefmasters bulls name is black granite.thats my new calfs daddy.

I sure wouldn't complain about getting a calf out of him by accident. Heckofabull and $100per straw semen. Wish my accidents went like that.

He's an okay bull. I hope the calf does well for you. I'd like more muscling or thickness to him and a tighter sheath (or at least a better angle). Doesn't do it for me, certainly not to the tune of $100/straw...but that's just me. Hope he works. Congrats again on the calf.

EC

im sure the calf will workout.his momma eaised a herd bull last year.im glad that i got the bull calf.he hit the ground small.an i know his momma can grow emm big.

bigbull338":sj6akn3s said:
i would like to hears yalls thoughts on this reg beefmaster bull.his name is black granite.you can see his info an pic here http://www.ultimate genetics.com look under beefmasters bulls name is black granite.thats my new calfs daddy.

worst sheath i have ever seen on an Angus

well it didnt cost me nothing to get the cow bred to him.so im looking farward to see how the calf turns out.i know the cow can raise nice big calves.so ill see if she can raise 2 herd bulls in a row.an i can keep up with the semen sales on the bull.

You know, this beefmaster deal chaps my patuey. I like beefmasters, in fact I have some commercial beefs, but the registered beefmaster business is not suited to the commercial cattleman. The straw fees are way outta sight and the costs for females at most of these replacement sales is absolutely amazing. Lifestyles of the rich and famous...I thought the seedstock guy's end product was supposed to be the commercial cattleman? All I see at these sales is a bunch of rich guys trading cattle, you buy mine and I buy yours kinda deal...

well everyone that knows me knows im not a high roller.i just buy the best cows an bulls that i can afford.an yes i do know the high rollers.the people that i know are nice an they go out of the way to help me.an they know why im breeding beefmasters.

CowpokeJ":1sk6j9ew said:
You know, this beefmaster deal chaps my patuey. I like beefmasters, in fact I have some commercial beefs, but the registered beefmaster business is not suited to the commercial cattleman. The straw fees are way outta sight and the costs for females at most of these replacement sales is absolutely amazing. Lifestyles of the rich and famous...I thought the seedstock guy's end product was supposed to be the commercial cattleman? All I see at these sales is a bunch of rich guys trading cattle, you buy mine and I buy yours kinda deal...

It does seem like the semen prices are way out of whack for beefmasters bulls. Spring of 2006 was the last time I bought registered Beefmasters from an auction/sale. Paid between $1100 to $1300 for two breeding age heifers and one 4 year old cow - auction was Windy Hills in Mississippi. Didn't seem like too high of a price; but that's only a snapshot view.

cypressfarms":1gbc8bxi said:
CowpokeJ":1gbc8bxi said:

It does seem like the semen prices are way out of whack for beefmasters bulls. Spring of 2006 was the last time I bought registered Beefmasters from an auction/sale. Paid between $1100 to $1300 for two breeding age heifers and one 4 year old cow - auction was Windy Hills in Mississippi. Didn't seem like too high of a price; but that's only a snapshot view.
Sometimes, you can sneak around and buy some right.

Cowpoke
CowpokeJ":16uf0obi said:
cypressfarms":16uf0obi said:
CowpokeJ":16uf0obi said:

Sometimes, you can sneak around and buy some right.

The $100 prices for semen IS outrageous. I can see paying that money for some bulls' semen...but not many. The bulls that have semen priced that high, more often than not, are unproven. And more times than should be, they are mediocre. There are some great bulls of foundation breeding whose semen is less than $50, some $30 or less. And those bulls are the kind that look great, pass that great look off to their offspring, and produce daughters who will wean exceptional calves year in and year out.

The end product is for the commercial man/woman. However, when I grow and become more of a seller, it's not going to stop me from bidding on someone else's females if I think they can help my program. Now, I hope that I soon reach a point that the best females available to me are the ones that I'm weaning from my cows. The demand for a good, solid Beefmaster cow is high, as it should be. If someone's going to pay good money for a cow, it may as well be a good cow. There are good cows from EVERY breed...but in MY opinion (to which I am entitled), you can find good females more consistently throughout the Beefmaster breed.

Start buying beefmaster bulls and you'll stop having to compete with others demanding beefmaster females. You'll have them in every calf crop.

bigbull338":16uf0obi said:
he is calling that bull an angus.an for a beefmaster his sheath looks real good.

I disagree. I'd call his sheath a 3. It's not terrible, but I'm not going to make my mouth up to say it's "real good" either. He's not going to have any functional problems with it, but it's not ideal. Black Granite should have been sold as a commercial bull. If he breeds true, a beefmaster breeder would likely need slick-bellied or really clean underlined cows to prevent sheath problems in the calf crop. On the other hand, a commercial person that needs some bos indicus influence, and has little or none, would do pretty good with this bull. He's a pretty good bull...just not for what I'm doing, and not for $100 a straw.

And breeders are going to stop ignoring that sheath soon enough. Anything with too much sheath needs to be culled and sent to the sale barn. If Beefmaster breeders keep using bulls with unacceptable sheaths, they run right back into the problem of bulls stepping on their manhood. Nobody wants to worry about something that could have been controlled and avoided.

:compute: If I was talking and not typing, I would've ran out of breath. :D

EC

bovigen panel results look good, especially for eared cattle. like to see him a little leveler

ALACOWMAN":3n7e1ktc said:
knabe":3n7e1ktc said:
bovigen panel results look good, especially for eared cattle.
  • like to see him a little leveler
Id just like to see him... can't get it to come up

If you PM your email to me, I'll see if I can send it to you in an email...maybe microsoft word or something.

EC

I think that bull is pitiful. He could pass for a heifer with a lot of navel. He should have been cut and sent to the sale barn. Anything with more than a 3 sheath, which he has, should not be used as a herd bull...period...and certainly should not be collected and have semen advertised for sale. I am entirely in agreement with CowpokeJ and many other commercial cattleman...the cattle business should not be a rich people's game which I feel a lot of BBU people have made it. We're in the business to produce functional cattle that work for the commercial cattleman. I also feel cattle should be selected for function and not form. Pedigree will never determine how cattle will adjust to anyone's environment or raise a calf. Too many breeders have strayed away from the six essentials and priced themselves out of the market. Those are my feelings. Anyone who wants to make it in the cattle business raising beefmasters needs to stick to the Lasater philosphy and buy only from herds who adhere to the six essentials. I strongly urge everyone to go on the Lasater website and download the 2007 sale catalog and look at the semen bull....then go to some past threads and look at some of the foundation bulls East Caney has posted. Look at the muscle they carry, how clean they are, their moderate frames, etc. I'm pretty sure they're better than Black Granite.

im enjoying hearing everyones opions on black granite.an i see where the lines are clearly drawn.alot of people here chose the old lassiter bloodlines.an thats great.an some choose the new bloodlines.me i have both the new an old bloodlines.as for the calf he sired.he has a good clean smooth underline.i like the bull an his calf.an thats all that really matters.an as a matter of fact i buy alot of cows off the guy that owns the bull.getting ready to go get a few more cows pretty quick.an the foundation herd im building.most all of the cows an 1st calf heifers come from him.