Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Not sure if I like his hindquarters or not. This is as a 7 year old

Dogs and Cows":2ey6f2vq said:
I think he looks ok Dun. I wouldn't kick him out of my pasture by any means...however, he looks to me like he is two bulls put together...his front end is deep and strong..and his rear end just looks not as developed. I could be totally wrong here...just my very modest opinion.

Tim
That pretty well sums up my opinion, but my mind didn;t know what the deal was front to back

Not a bad bull, but as others have said, he is fine boned and too broad and straight in the shoulder (this is my main sticking point with most red angus, phenotype wise). I think the thing that looks off in that rear third is that he doesn't carry any muscle mass down into that gaskin. This usually means they aren't carrying it inside the rear leg either.

This bull is finer boned, and doesn't show enough depth in his flank. If you draw a straight line on his belly you will see how pinched he is in the rear end.

Do the same thing drawing a line on the underside of this calf and look at the difference. This bull carries the depth of body from front to rear. The red bull has depth in the front end but lacks depth in the rear which makes him look out of balance.
Just an opinion.

gizmom

Gizmom, that's what i'm seeing.. a pinched waist.. I don't look for heavy bones.. humans don't eat that, but it should be proportional, and a 7 year old bull ought to be more filled.. certainly isn't going to get better with age like when you look at a yearling and hum and haw.

I do strive for a flat belly that isn't pinched at either end.

I think this bull could have used a better photographer.. a picture taken from lower to the ground, and more toward his front quarters would go a long way in hiding that, as well as having him in some straw.. it doesn't change the bull of course, but certainly could affect how people look at the same animal

WOI
I agree I like seeing as much as I can of their feet. But the straw doesn't hide if the are pinched in the flank.

Nesi

I just like to see an animal have enough bone to support their mass. Light bone makes me think the mass is more fat than muscle. Nothing scientific about it just something I look at.

Gizmom

No, a picture from a little bit more toward the front of the bull would have hidden that a little (being about square with the front shoulders rather than square with his hinds).. I definitely like seeing their feet as well, and am always weary of pictures in deep straw.. but there's a reason they're so popular.. every bull looks long and deep chested when in 10" of straw

Latest posts