Thoughts on these Simmental Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Now, I'm not big on black cows but if you decide you can't stand that J2 heifer put her on a truck headed to Oregon. ;)

I actually bid on some SimAngus fall bred replacement heifers when our local county fair hosted the Siskiyou Golden Fair's livestock show and sale due to fires down in Northern California.

Last year-
Average sale price $3200
High Seller $4500

I figured I was going to come home with at least one.

Sale order for the ones we bid on:
Grand CH (Registered)- $10k (I stopped at $5k)
Res Grand CH (Commerical)- $11k (I didn't even get a bid in it went so quick)
Res CH Commercial - $6k (I stopped bidding as soon as I saw who I was bidding against, sometimes its best to let a friend get a good one)
Moderate dog gentle SimAngus last in the sale - $4k (I stopped at $3k)

I bid higher than I normally would but it was a 4-H auction and a good cause. Somehow I ended up taking home the Grand CH pen of meat rabbits for $500 :unsure:
:ROFLMAO:

They're 12 -13 months old and open. I'm kicking around the idea on whether I want to offer them up or keep myself. I like them but kind of thought about adding some more cow family lines here. My Baldy Hook's Eagle son likes stamping them with the white. He also could make them red and white. Got a purebred black baldy son of him I really like might use. Have thought of calling my AI Tech with ABS and keeping the calves black with Double Up, Great Western, or Boulder. But yeah I'll breed them Simmental or Sim Angus.

I'd agree with the J2 pick, that cow line has really rowed the boat here. Her grandmother Merry was a no miss. Always felt she was a hidden gem and felt she'd be utilized better in a bigger seed stock operation. She made them good with whatever bull and always a 1st selection. The Red Daughter Crush is following those steps and passing on good looking progeny. Hopefully J2 Black Crush will be the 3rd wave. One day I might get into taking embryo's.

Latest posts