Thoughts on these 3 Bulls? (Bull Shopping)

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Down to my last week of bull shopping. Going for registered hereford and trying hard to stay polled but get good muscle and structure. Spoke with almost 20 different breeders. These are within my price and within 2 hours away. Any thoughts?

It's tough to judge from just one picture of each, but with that being said I like the second one best. Others may, and probably will, disagree.

Rafter S":29gcgi48 said:
It's tough to judge from just one picture of each, but with that being said I like the second one best. Others may, and probably will, disagree.
I was kinda thinking he was beefy front and back with decent eye pigment, this guy is going to have to send me pictures from behind.

Bull one has a nice top line and nice hip. He appears very shallow in the fore rib and lacks eye pigment. Picture may deceive, but I don't like the set on his back legs at all...
Bull two is balanced,has good lines, and desired eye pigment. He is FAT in that picture though, so its really hard to judge if he actually carries that much muscle mass and to gauge things like fore rib and spring of rib. I also detest a bull whose brisket is between his knees, but it is really just cosmetic.....
Bull three is ok, but again, is way sucked up in fore rib, is fine boned compared to the mass he carries, and shows not nearly enough masculinity for my taste....

Assuming he travels well and you have some time to slim him down a bit, I would go with bull two....

An overly fat bull has a much higher chance of melting away in the heat of the summer while out with the girls ...

How is the temperament on these boys?

How is the eye pigment on the side not in the frame for bulls 2 and 3?

I like the testicle size on #3 but would drive to see #2 for a better look and if he checked out I'd buy him.
Otherwise if he didn't or disappointed in person, I think you'd be happy taking number 3.

#2 maybe a nice bull. Hard to tell with all of that fat. I imagine he might look even better when it is gone. It would take several months to get him where he could survive in short grass country or even long grass in rugged pastures in the summer heat.

elkwc":1e8wyicu said:
#2 maybe a nice bull. Hard to tell with all of that fat. I imagine he might look even better when it is gone. It would take several months to get him where he could survive in short grass country or even long grass in rugged pastures in the summer heat.

He would be fine up here....it was only 29 degrees here today. :cry2:

The previous bulls were 3 years old in a feed lot. I made the decision and went with a local breeder. 17 month old registered. Great genetics and EPD. The thing that sold me is the breeder drove me around and showed me some of his herd. All, and even the 10 an 11 year old cows had perfect bags and small teets. I saw this bulls grandmother and mother. On this guy I am confident in the genetics. The guy said he only feeds 11% bull feed. Doesnt like his bulls too fat so the buyer can see what he is getting. He may not be a $12,000 bull but he is calm as a cucumber and should make fine baldies and tigerstripes. I made several trips to his place and spent hours watching his cattle and looking at his operation. The plus side is he was also only about 10 minutes away. I am okay with the decision I made. There is still a possibilty with the eyes, when speaking with the breeder about this he culls the animal and any offspring with it. He does his best to get the animals more prone to that out of his herd. Hasnt had a case of eye cancer in years. He has been in registered herefords for over 30 years.

True Grit Farms":313fk5kb said:
He's a little cow looking to me, but I imagine he'll do just fine.
Yeah not as masculine as the others but it felt a little more trust in what I was getting with this one. Just my gut. And from the back end he had enough beef to compliment my brangus cows.

BK9954":1n5ow59d said:
True Grit Farms":1n5ow59d said:
He's a little cow looking to me, but I imagine he'll do just fine.
Yeah not as masculine as the others but it felt a little more trust in what I was getting with this one. Just my gut.

A lot of the time they grow into the job, you'll know more after his first calf crop. There's a lot to be said about buying from a neighbor and he's probably a good friend by now.

You made the right decision. If you can find a cowherd that you can fall in love with, buy bulls from them. The feet on those feedlot bulls were all buggered up anyways.

Rafter S":3r06i36w said:
I hope he does well for you. What do you have planned for the heifers you get from him and your Brangus cows?
Depending on my situation, market and finances I,may do a whole herd sell out in a couple years. Who knows. I want this guy to improve the look of the calves, increase the value of the herd, and maybe sell everything as pairs. I may keep them, or if the baldie market sucks, they could all go and switch out for brahman cows but those are sky high. Its all up in the air right now. I will be in a position to have to try to buy my uncles out of the rest of the ranch I am running. If 2 or 3 sets of calves and my savings are enough for a down payment, they all may stay because once I finance the property, I will be cash poor.

BK9954":3i1p32nx said:
Rafter S":3i1p32nx said:
I hope he does well for you. What do you have planned for the heifers you get from him and your Brangus cows?
Depending on my situation, market and finances I,may do a whole herd sell out in a couple years. Who knows. I want this guy to improve the look of the calves, increase the value of the herd, and maybe sell everything as pairs. I may keep them, or if the baldie market sucks, they could all go and switch out for brahman cows but those are sky high. Its all up in the air right now. I will be in a position to have to try to buy my uncles out of the rest of the ranch I am running. If 2 or 3 sets of calves and my savings are enough for a down payment, they all may stay because once I finance the property, I will be cash poor.

If you decide to sell some pairs send me a PM. I might know someone that would be interested.

Latest posts