Thoughts on the Bee Keeper Starter Kit?

Help Support CattleToday:

It's okay. I prefer a full jacket over just a hat and veil. Also realize that you are going to need another deep super and at least 2-3 medium supers with the frames and foundation to really get started. This kit will be enough once you install your bee package but you will need the second deep in a few weeks if all goes well. So, if you get this, buy the second deep and mediums at the same time. It can sometimes take a long time to get things shipped depending on the time of year.

At one time you could buy your bees from Sears and Roebuck. They advertised a midnight strain of bees that were sold as being very tame and docile.

If you pick the times that you'll be working the bees (warm, bright days) you shouldn't need a jacket or coveralls. Just make sure you wear a long sleeved shirt with the cuffs buttoned. Although if coveralls will make you feel safer as a new beekeeper then by all means get some.

BK9954":23i8lh0t said:
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/a-m58101-honey-of-a-hobby-beginner-kit-no-1?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-30mKiZ1QIVT2p-Ch3GSw7KEAQYBCABEgIKlfD_BwE

BK if your luck is like mine you could put on a space suit and there would be one dam bee still get in it. :nod:

I would see if you can find some used equipment first. It's cheaper and comes with drawn comb, which you will learn to appreciate. If that isn't an option then I'd buy the frames separately and wire them instead of foundation and go with a migratory cover instead of the inner and outer cover.
You might also consider eight frame instead of ten. Much lighter and a little easier to manage the amount of space you give them which helps with small hive beetle control.
As for the veil, I prefer a ventilated half suit. That way If they blow up on you you're protected enough to finish what you're doing but not overly restricted.

BK9954":2idmksyw said:
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/a-m58101-honey-of-a-hobby-beginner-kit-no-1?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-30mKiZ1QIVT2p-Ch3GSw7KEAQYBCABEgIKlfD_BwE

Get in touch with Ron Brackeen out of Joshua, Texas. His doctors are advising him to get out of the business because of his heart condition. He's trimming way back. He's got equipment and bees.

I've got two hives with two main 10 frame boxes. They're drinking a gallon of bee feed a week. Hives are thriving but I am a novice.

My hives were setting on steel frames I built. An ant trail started almost immediately. So the legs got 2 inch PVC pipe caps on the base cupped upward. I filled the caps with motor oil. No more ant problem.

backhoeboogie":28yzo1ob said:
BK9954":28yzo1ob said:

Get in touch with Ron Brackeen out of Joshua, Texas. His doctors are advising him to get out of the business because of his heart condition. He's trimming way back. He's got equipment and bees.

I've got two hives with two main 10 frame boxes. They're drinking a gallon of bee feed a week. Hives are thriving but I am a novice.

My hives were setting on steel frames I built. An ant trail started almost immediately. So the legs got 2 inch PVC pipe caps on the base cupped upward. I filled the caps with motor oil. No more ant problem.

I have legs but have a flat plastic top that is turned upside down with a hole cut to fit over leg and I've coated it with axel grease. This way its always there and wont wash off. I have trouble with new hives and ants. A good strong hive has no problems keeping ants out.
How old are your hives? I haven't had to feed my bees in months, even the new swarm I got last summer. They are all bringing in pollen like crazy right now. i'm about to head out to see if my big hive has all their honey capped....

I just went out and checked my bees. My big hive has almost a full super. A lot of the honey is not capped yet so i'll wait to harvest it. My hive I call azzh0les were very nice today. They have honey stored but not enough to harvest yet....

cowgirl8":1nxqdia0 said:
How old are your hives? I haven't had to feed my bees in months, even the new swarm I got last summer. They are all bringing in pollen like crazy right now. i'm about to head out to see if my big hive has all their honey capped....

California queen in one was added mid may to establish a new hive. It is two boxes, 10 frames each box.

East Texas Italian queen in the other is about a week younger. Two boxes, 10 frames each box for that one was well.

The East Texas bunch were the biggest numbers. California has now surpassed their numbers.

I am feeding because the hives are relatively young and I am getting them established. When we added the 2nd box and rotated frames, bees with pollen on their legs were everywhere.

I've got all those berries on trellises plus I have all the peach trees. 3 years ago I had no bees pollinating. That is when I committed to getting my own hives. The last two years feral bees have pollinated but I should be in really good shape next year.

Bee Keeping is the wife's thing. Big family tradition for her. So I got bees. I am expecting around 350 gallons of berries again next year. Bees make it a win/win. Nothing more. Two hives is plenty.

I go from wanting a bunch, to heck I just want a few. Did only one removal this year. Didn't get any calls so i'm guessing my number was lost...thank god.. I want to get the 3 I have going good, then split them. That's how I want to get more, splitting, not busting my azz doing a cutout or climbing up something to get a swarm.
I have no idea what kind of queens I have. Azzh0les have calmed down. Planned on requeening her with an Italian but the one they have is very productive and they don't seem as hot anymore. So we shall see. One is a swarm, and the other requeened themselves, but are very productive.
Do you ever make mead or plan to?

Latest posts