Thoughts on Sydgen Back Pearl

Help Support CattleToday:

Midtenn

Reaction score
Any problems with this bull? Do you think his numbers will hold? I'm thinking about using him exclusively both on registered seed stock and a few commercials. I would like to hear some calf reports. Thank You

We have only ever had two. 1 bull and 1 heifer, both out of heifers. The male was the final cut on bulls and went on the first load of steers. The heifer was behind at weaning but has really come on and looks to have the ability to have a good cow. Really a big long deep female without alot of holes. The Pearls will not be real clean fronted but that is the biggest knock I have on him. Seen him a couple of times up close and moves well for a big bull. We kinda moved on from Black Pearl because we use his sire alot (Trust) but still a good choice.

Here is an amateur photo of the heifer a this summer

Yes I think his numbers will hold.

A little extra up front doesn't bother me at all. What turned you against keeping the bull was it just his growth because he was out of a heifer?
She's a nice one, not even covered in dust..... And what's all that GREEN stuff she's standing in?

We just dont sell many bulls, only kept 3 out of ~25 bull calves that year.. He was either 4th or 5th out of the bulls that year. Just a little behind on the growth and if memory serves me he turned out alittle on his back feet.. Like I said he went in the first group of steers harvested so he caught up on growth. Also found two or three Sydgen bulls I like alittle better, but he is a good choice.

I have a few Black Pearl calves this year, they were mostly born in July. All my calves are pretty even and haven't paid a lot of attention to them as I have been concentrating on heat detecting to get mothers back in calf, one BP heifer has caught my eye though.

Ken

Latest posts