thoughts on protine blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i called my co-op today an priced protine blocks.the 37% blocks was $9 an the cottonseed blocks was $12.both blocks was 33 or 50lbs.i dont remember the weight on the cottonseed blocks.the protine tubs was 200lbs an was $45ea.im not set up to haul the protine tubs yet.

bigbull338":1xham2bj said:
i called my co-op today an priced protine blocks.the 37% blocks was $9 an the cottonseed blocks was $12.both blocks was 33 or 50lbs.i dont remember the weight on the cottonseed blocks.the protine tubs was 200lbs an was $45ea.im not set up to haul the protine tubs yet.

We just let them eat grass and hay. Heifers get some taming feed, but rarely.

Some heifers don't make it to our cow pastures.

The vet told me a specific tub to use and I can't find it at any feed store in this area. I put a couple of TSC tubs out and they went quick. I put a couple more out and they are not doing much with them but they have started uptaking a lot of mineral lately instead.

They are getting coastal hay that is probably around 12 %. That should be enough actually, along with the minerals. Now that it is cold I can give them all the protein they can handle, so I gave the tubs a test try. You feed them that much protein in the summer when the over night lows are in the 80's.

well im thinking about trying them so the cows get used tobeing fed an tended to.as well as keeping them gentle.they have hay free choice 24/7.

bigbull338":20evb3sb said:
well im thinking about trying them so the cows get used tobeing fed an tended to.as well as keeping them gentle.they have hay free choice 24/7.

Try something you carry to them at some frequency that they consume quickly while you watch them. They get alot out of that.

thats what i use the feed for.an i get stomped putting it out.trying to save this old body some wear an tear.

i wouldnt waste the money on protein blocks unless you have poor quality forage you want eaten or drought stressed pastures. feed or range cubes would be adequate for training. maybe figure out a way to shut the trough off from the cows so that you can feed them more safely if needbe.

i agree with beefy. 12% hay should be great unless the weather is very, very bad and cold.
Might try Chrystlyx tubs though. It is baked hard and has all the minerals needed plus an additive to help convert the hay more efficiantly but no salt. Also has protein but is so hard they don't consume much. A 200 lb tub last 40 cows over a month. I have been using it year round for three years with loose white salt for the salt needs and am very pleased. Costs around $90 per tub. Bought 16 tubs last month and before anyone asks this is divided between three of us. We buy together to get a better price.

thanks for all the input.we have plenty of hay.an put out 6 bales at a time to 80hd.the blocks are just as cheap as feed in my eyes as well.so we will see wich way i flipp today.

In the past I have used some of the Crystalyx Heifer Replacement blocks. I think they were about 38% protein and ran around $88 for a 250 lb tub. Kind of expensive but seemed to be a good product.

bigbull338":2wwgzw8t said:
thats what i use the feed for.an i get stomped putting it out.trying to save this old body some wear an tear.

Carry a hotshot with you. If they get too close, let em know whos boss. They get to where they know what that long stick is for, believe me.

never thought about that.but wouldnt it make the cows less trusting when it came time to work them.

bigbull338":3rs4jwut said:
never thought about that.but wouldnt it make the cows less trusting when it came time to work them.

Who's trusting who? I never trust mine completely; and I dont care if they trust me or not. Only care if they do what I want them to do... which in alot of cases, is just the opposite of what I want. :)
But, if you bring the feed to them, they are always gonna crowd around you, no matter if you gotta stick, hotshot, or gun with you. The hotshot is only to keep them off of you when putting out the feed.
If I am just pouring it out on the ground, I just get a head start on em, and walk real fast, while dumping several bags of it. I have each bag already opened up, that I am going to dump, so I can grab each one fast, and empty it.

i trust my cattle not to purposely hurt me.an ive been knocked down in the middle of 1500lb hol cows.an had to slowly crawl out from under them.1 stepped on my leg while i was down.but she quickly moved her foot.when i feed the cows are usually no where close by.so i can feed at my speed.

If I put some taming feed out in the pasture, I make sure it's on the ground before they can get there. Then I just shake the bag and hollar.

In the pen, I just make sure I shut the gate and put it out before letting them in.

I think it helps them when you make them come to you or wait on you to finish.

You do have to be careful.

I teach em to stay a few feet or yards away from me at all times. I got knocked into a feed trough a couple years ago and learned my lesson.

this year I built an inset into my pasture that has troughs on the inside that I can load from the outside. It's so cool....no stepping in the cow pies , getting bumped around while you have feed in your hands , I can use my loader to dump hay or feed in , and I don't get muddy cuz my space has limestone rocks and screenings down.

i went to the co-op today to get some feed.an while i was there i ran into my ex bro in law.an we was talking bout the 200lb protine tubbs.an he said that fed them year round.an he said he would haul mine to the house for me an put them out.so i went an bought 3 an loaded them in his trailer.an put all my feed in his truck.aneverything was put out when i got home.they are 27% protine an cost me $135 for the 3 of them.

I sometimes put the truck in 4 low and step out .When the truck eases by I hop in the back and start pouring out cubes. I even do it sometimes when my wife is in the truck because she can never drive the right speed for pouring range cubes.

I hand feed cubes but rather than pouring them in a line I make piles about every 20 feet. With 4-5 cows around each pile it cuts down the possibility of one old heifer always wanting to crap or pee right in the middle of the row of cubes.

Latest posts