Thoughts on leasing out a bull...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We have a good friend that does not have a bull and wants to lease our 22 month old Brangus Bull. My husband is comfortable with this since he is a good friend and is familiar with his cattle. I do the admin work for the ranch and have no idea what the terms would be, how long the lease should be for or even what to charge. When I did a google search this morning..... I ended up here! Anyone have any tips they can provide to us?

I used to rent all my bulls but no one does it anymore. I was paying 1300 annually for really top notch bulls.
How many cows does you friend need to breed? Who does the hauling? Does your friend have a closed herd?

Around here a bull lease can be as long or short as you and the person leasing needs it to be, but normally 45 to 60 days. Once the bull arrives on the leasing parties property all responsibility for vet fees, injuries, death, etc is paid for by them. Normally things go smooth and nothing happens, but need to cover yourself in event something does happen. In short you can write up what ever details you and your husband see fit and the person leasing agrees to.

I used to rent all my bulls but no one does it anymore. I was paying 1300 annually for really top notch bulls.
How many cows does you friend need to breed? Who does the hauling? Does your friend have a closed herd?
The bull will be exposed to 20 and I am sure my husband and our friend will do the hauling together. And, yes, as far as I know the heard is closed and my husband is familiar with them as well. Helping work them and feed at times as well.

Olga

Around here a bull lease can be as long or short as you and the person leasing needs it to be, but normally 45 to 60 days. Once the bull arrives on the leasing parties property all responsibility for vet fees, injuries, death, etc is paid for by them. Normally things go smooth and nothing happens, but need to cover yourself in event something does happen. In short you can write up what ever details you and your husband see fit and the person leasing agrees to.
Thanks, yes, I am the one in charge of the paperwork and will be drawing up the paperwork. Our friend does agree with the verbal terms we have mentioned so far.

BSE before and after the lease to confirm that he starts and comes back in breeding condition.
Insurance on him.
Time period set in stone.

I have never formally leased a bull. I have borrowed one and loaned one, but these are three things I think would be important.

We have a good friend that does not have a bull and wants to lease our 22 month old Brangus Bull. My husband is comfortable with this since he is a good friend and is familiar with his cattle. I do the admin work for the ranch and have no idea what the terms would be, how long the lease should be for or even what to charge. When I did a google search this morning..... I ended up here! Anyone have any tips they can provide to us?
I've been leasing bulls from a guy who is in that business for several years. He charges $900 for one, or $800 apiece for two or more. We don't have a set length of time, but I return them after about two months. He pays for semen testing.

I think @Boot Jack Bulls here leases bulls out and might be able to add her perspective.
Thanks for the shout-out Simme! I have owned and operated a lease program for over 10 years now. I specialize in Limi, Angus and Lim-flex. My bulls must pass a high set of standards every day, or they are gone. I aim for stock with excellent phenotype, high growth and docility, balanced numbers and good pedigrees. Big time bonus if they have a show record.

I have a strong contract (built by a lawyer) that protects both parties. Clients must maintain condition of animal, may not move him to another location, and must maintain adequate insurance. I make sure every bull offered is tested, vaccinated and performance tracked. I do all the hauling and handling. If anything goes wrong, I expect a phone call the minute it is noted and I will handle the rest. Clients also realize I may show up at any time to check on the well-being of my bull. If the bull dies, they are contracted to pay a set value (usually what it would cost to replace him, anywhere from $2500 to $10K). Contract also specifies max number of head bull can be used on and has a set drop-off and pick-up date, failure to adhere means money owed by client. I do a minimum of 60 day leases, this is to help ensure both parties get the benefit of a settled herd. Having said all of that, most of my clients are now like family and the way I run our program has benefited us both. They get to use a top of the line animal and don't have to worry about any of the fuss that comes with having a bull the other 10 months of the year. They pay accordingly, nothing leaves my place for the prices mentioned above....

I've leased one bull myself before. I fed and cared for him like he was my own. $300 for 90 days. He wasn't registered or what I would call a top of the line bull. Did what I needed though. I went and picked him up and carried him back. A Neighbor rented 2 of his Registered Hereford bulls out for $500 each for 90 days.

I lease a Black Angus bull in July and then again a Red Angus bull (clean up bull) in December. These are not registered but do the job. I pay 30 bucks for every cow he impregnates for the summer bull and just have to feed the winter bull. This year I brought the winter bull a roll of hay with him to the owner as we had a drought this year. I pick up and return.

Latest posts