Thoughts on LA200?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just read the Ivomec Plus label (whew!!!)

About the only thing that I saw that could be a problem is that they warned about treating during a certain stage of two grubs life cycle, which may cause bloating and or throat? trouble when combined with Ivomec in a certain window of the grub exiting stage. However, the label did recommend it for winter use, as it will help control winter pests as well.

Tapeworm, Is there some particluar bad experience that you've had when using Ivo+ during the winter that you could share with us???

Yes killing grubs is what Im talking a bout..not just Ivo+ either..I wont use anything that kills grubs in the dead of winter on cattle that I dont know anything about....but i dont mind using it if I used it in the fall after heel fly time.You do what you want to but Ive lost auction cattle before by using Ivo+ or pours in the winter

Tapeworm is correct. IF the cattle actually have grubs migrating thru their system later in their cycle, you can KILL cattle if you DEGRUB them. Not just Ivomec - all degrubbing products. Each area has a "do not degrub" after "this date". For NY it's about Nov 15.
So, if you degrub your cattle in the late fall, than you can use a product that kills grubs anytime there after that season. Grubs cycle starts in the fall & they are safe to kill until they migrate to a certain part of the cows body - after that, very dangerous if you kill them.
So with "unknown" cattle, you should deworm with a product that does NOT KILL GRUBS, if you are deworming after you "safe" date for your area. I believe some areas do not have grubs.

The number one concern about beef quality is overuse of antibiotics. If you use and especially overdose healthly cattle with antibiotics, I personnally see your practice as part of the problem.

Our beef quality management practices include retaining new cows in a seperate area (pen or pasture) from the home herd for up to 30 days. If it is time to worm, we worm them, but we never use antibiotics on healthy cattle. I equate that to putting your kids on antibiotics because their friend at school got sick. We haven't had to use antibiotics in over 2 years (that's not saying I won't use them when needed.)

Just my 2 cents worth. You can reserach antibiotic use and beef quality at http://www.texasbeefquality.com/

Dusty Britches":1xtse47a said:
The number one concern about beef quality is overuse of antibiotics. If you use and especially overdose healthly cattle with antibiotics, I personnally see your practice as part of the problem.

Hey Dusty,

I don't know if the #1 concern facing beef quality is overuse of antibiotics, but your point does have merit. The reason that we've been doing this in the past is mostly as preventive medicine, just as you mentioned. One example that caused us to start this practice: We bought a bred cow at a stockyard, brought her home and wormed her, and put her in our holding pen. The third day with us she developed some type of infection, and ultimately we lsot the cow. In this case a shot of LA200 when we first got might either saved her, or at least give us more time to get her medical attention.

You do bring up a good point about overuse of antibiotics. The above mentioned example is why I hate buying from stockyards, and have mostly turned to buying direct from cattlemen themselves.

We have used LA200 for a few years now. Seems to work well with us and just last year the vet told us we could inject under the skin instead of in the muscle. Anyone else tried this? We had two steers, both cut their leg on the scale. One developed a fluid filled lump under his skin, which we drained. Other than that it worked well.
If we treat calves for anything we always give them probiotic paste. We had Rota/Carona a few years back and were giving every calf probiotic paste, two antibiotics & Corid every day (per vet's instructions - lab results weren't back yet). Every calf lived and all were thriving within days. Doesn't do an animal any good to feel better and not have an appetite to regain their health. Now we vaccinate for Rota/Carona every year.
As far as worming goes my in-laws (Wisconsin) had one of their cows become paralyzed after they wormed her. I can't remember the exact date but it was early December. From what I understand it was where the grubs were -spinal area- when they wormed her that caused the paralysis. She didn't make it.

Jennifer

Latest posts