thoughts on I87

Help Support CattleToday:

goodbeef

Reaction score
currently have a group of open replacement heifers that i am going to AI in the spring. These heifers are home raised and were all AI calves out of Alliance I87, Special Design 049, and Nebraska 901. I have already commited to these heifers, but i wanted to know if anyone has any aged cows out of these bulls, and what are your thoughts to this point.

I used Alliance I87 on my P'Fred heifers last year, and had to pull most of the calves, with a good number backwards or upside down. Biggest one was a bull calf at #109. I don't know what his CED # is, but I had quite a bit of trouble with shoulders and hips at calving. On a positive note, I kept all but one of those I87 heifers for replacements. I had one heifer wean at #727 at 212 days. They are correct, decent depth, and very wide with good dipositions like their moms. They look like they will make good cows, and most were pretty good looking from day one. Still deciding what to breed them to in April. I bred the P'Fred's to WAR Alliance for this springs calving. Seen a few I87 bulls that I wouldn't mind owning.

this group of heifers that i kept were all out of first calf heifers, i also would not recommend I87 on heifers, had to only pull one out of 15,( that were bred to i87) but he was a bruiser at 110lbs, and had another that was over 100 lb that i didnt have to pull. the rest ran in the mid 70's to the mid 80's. but i had several heifers that posted 700 lb plus adj. 205 day weights out of first calf heifers and did it on what looks to be a soggy 5 to 5.5 frame. i am very exited to see what kind of cows they will make in the future. will be scanning the group in March and will have an update on how they did, if u are curious

Latest posts