Thoughts on Herf bull, take 2

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I asked for thoughts on this bull a while ago and I have been keeping an eye on him. Last time I posted and asked for thoughts on him the conversation went south and got a bit rude. So with luck we can stay on track this time. He has better acc.'s and the fall EPD's since the last posting.

I hope to hear from Northern Rancher, have you changed your mind at all or have you seen any calves?

Thanks,
Alan

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2&9=515059

I would rather see a pic of the bull without all the makeup on....out in the pasture. Forget the lipstick

I really like the glamour pic and I like his sire. The +111 yearling weight EPD scares me about mature weight on the cow side. Legend is only +66. How does his son jump THAT high without a lot of calves on the ground??? I hate his calf picture (I am assuming that is him). He turned out real well, but I wonder how those gawky looking frail but growthy calves would sell at 550-650 lbs at my sale barn? I am not one of those who want a lot of masculinity real early and I don't KNOW how old he was in the pic (massive difference between 170 and 220 days) but I would had doubts about him and his phenotype then.

I agree with Brandon. It's hard for me to imagine that calf developing into the bull he is today. I would prefer a much earlier maturing phenotype.

Way too late maturing for my tastes. Again we need to remember that Herefords should be a maternal breed. We try too hard and fail to be Charolais or other terminal type breeds. We should concentrate on breed strengths.

If the calf pictured in the "other images" is really him, then he's obviously had alot of help via the feed bucket to look like he does. He looks outstanding in his mature posing-for-the camera shot, however, when you look at him as a calf, how could you ever use him? It's right there for all the world to see - he's fed that way, not bred that way.

purecountry":mr0fxaeo said:
If the calf pictured in the "other images" is really him, then he's obviously had alot of help via the feed bucket to look like he does. He looks outstanding in his mature posing-for-the camera shot, however, when you look at him as a calf, how could you ever use him? It's right there for all the world to see - he's fed that way, not bred that way.
looking at the other pics its hard too imagine why he made it too maturity,, his calf picture to mature. does look like there were a train load of grocerys in between

purecountry":27faqtrm said:

Yeah I wondered about the same thing.

user1":sx7upns3 said:
I would rather see a pic of the bull without all the makeup on....out in the pasture. Forget the lipstick

Thinking the same thing maybe a pic after he had been running with the 40 cows for 60 days. Then I could tell you what I think about a particular bull.

Jovid":1zb018ut said:
user1":1zb018ut said:

Thinking the same thing maybe a pic after he had been running with the 40 cows for 60 days. Then I could tell you what I think about a particular bull.

42593689_2.jpg

Wow is that the same bull? Kind of reminds me what the models and movie stars look like without their make-up on! Fat can certainly cover up a lot. Those young bulls who have seen large amounts of grain can sure have a hard time adjusting to a diet of primarily forage and the increased work expected of them. Many of them fall apart and barely resemble the bull you initially were so impressed by. :( I would certainly be nervous about the daughters of this bull and the feed bill needed to keep them in decent body condition, breeding back, and raising calves.

Yeah, Genex is smart enough not to show something like that off. They probably have real money tied up in the bull and his marketing. That calf picture does not make their job easier.

Herefords.US":2pe0t2tp said:
alexfarms":2pe0t2tp said:
I think he has IE carriers not far back. If I were you I would want to have an IEF test before I used him.

John, that was brought up in the first thread about this bull and someone from MSU posted here (I think it was Cody Sankey) that this bull's dam had been tested for IE and was negative.

Here's the post:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56828&p=656675&hilit=Revolution#p656675

George

Oh yes, now I remember that thread! It seems odd that Genex wouldn't post that result when they are marketing semen on the bull. I really don't care to reopen all that. Just ignore my comment.

alexfarms":1qc1i2zf said:
Oh yes, now I remember that thread! It seems odd that Genex wouldn't post that result when they are marketing semen on the bull. I really don't care to reopen all that. Just ignore my comment.

Shoot, I was hoping we'd coax Spartan back here with this thread! He might actually answer Brian's questions about the bull this time! :banana: :banana:

George

CPL":2rzvj546 said:
Jovid":2rzvj546 said:
user1":2rzvj546 said:

42593689_2.jpg

I rest my case.....

Latest posts