Thoughts on Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

abbmiller

Reaction score
Hi there! I am looking for your opinions on breeding these two heifers. They did decently at the county fair about a week ago as the all black won Reserve Champion Commercial Heifer and the baldy won Grand Champion Commercial Heifer. They will be turned out on pasture once bred and I'm looking for good bulls to breed them to. I do understand you can't go all out for a heifer's first calf but I would like to hear your thoughts as I am trying to breed for heifers that may look a little more fancy for the show ring.

Thanks for anything you can offer!

:welcome: congratulations on your shows. I'm not much help suggesting a particular bull, but you've got a good foundation. You have some nice heifers.

Stick with a black angus sire for first calf heifers. I like the looks of Barstow Bankroll at Select Sires.
I've seen some very fancy offspring from SAV Brilliance at ABS

Disclaimer: I hate cattle shows... except carcass contests and Miss Universe contest. :)

Your first picture is the only one showing up for me. She appears to have some Simmental in her. I disagree with breeding her to an Angus bull. Other breeds have bulls that are just as easy calving with great growth. If you breed her to a Simmental, you can register the calf as a 1/2 blood. I could help you pick a bull if you are interested.

Latest posts